Yes, you. Creating a budget sounds like a big bore but it should be one of the first things you do as a college student. It will help you learn to live within your means. A nonprofit organization called Mapping Your Future offers a student-friendly guide to creating a budget.
Of course, a budget is no good unless you stick to it. Here are some tips:
- Stop buying things you don't really need.
- Pack a lunch, cook for yourself and avoid expensive coffee beverages.
- Re-evaluate whether you need a car.
- Take advantage of free movies on campus at the University Student Union and Cinematheque.
- Avoid using your credit card for everyday purchases.