Financial Aid

What's financial aid?

Financial aid can drastically reduce your college costs. At Cal State Northridge, nearly all students qualify for some form of financial aid.

There are four basic kinds of aid: grants, loans, work-study and scholarships.

Grants are generally awarded on the basis of financial need and do not need to be repaid. Some of the most common are the Federal Pell Grant, State University Grant, Cal Grant and Educational Opportunity Program Grant.

Loans are borrowed funds that must be repaid. Some loans have a low interest rate and are issued on the basis of financial need. Others have higher interest rates but are issued regardless of financial need. While the federal government funds most student loans, private lending institutions also issue student loans.

Work-study is a federally funded student employment program. Many Cal State Northridge students hold work-study jobs to help pay their educational costs. These on-campus jobs range from shelving library books to assisting in research. To be eligible for work-study, a student must meet strict income guidelines. Visit the Career Center to learn more about Cal State Northridge work-study jobs.

To find out if you qualify for any of these types of aid, file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid between Jan. 1 and March 2 prior to the fall in which you plan to enroll at Cal State Northridge. Remember to file your FAFSA each year by March 2 so that you can be considered for the most funding available.

After you are admitted to Cal State Northridge, the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department will determine your eligibility for aid and the types of awards you may receive. Visit the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department to learn more about financial aid at Cal State Northridge.

Got Questions? Ask Matty

Ask a question like:

Why do I have to take the EPT/ELM tests?