Can I work on campus?

Many Cal State Northridge students help pay for their education by working part time on campus. Jobs range from answering phones to working in a laboratory and tutoring at local schools. Almost every department and office on campus employs at least one student assistant, which means there are a lot of jobs to go around. How do you find out about them?

Start your job search at the Career Center. You can get help finding a job, sprucing up your resume or creating an entirely new resume. By registering with the Career Center, you also will gain access to print and online databases for on-campus and off-campus jobs.

You may want to broaden your search beyond the Career Center. Some jobs are filled by word of mouth, so ask your friends and classmates if they know of anything. Check bulletin boards in the department of your major or any department that interests you. Don't be timid. There's nothing wrong with stopping at a reception desk and inquiring about the job application process.

Some jobs are known as Federal Work-Study jobs. Work-study is a program in which the government pays a portion of a student worker's wages. To find out if you're eligible for work-study, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the March 2 priority deadline. The Cal State Northridge Financial Aid & Scholarship Department will notify you of your eligibility and tell you how to find a work-study job. A work-study job is advantageous because your earnings will not be counted as income when you fill out your FAFSA the following year.

Regardless of the type of job you get, remember your first priority should be academics. As a student assistant, you probably won't work more than 20 hours a week. Your employer may require you to maintain a minimum grade point average.

Got Questions? Ask Matty

Ask a question like:

Why do I have to take the EPT/ELM tests?