A] Auditions For the Jazz Major
(winds, brass, piano, guitar, bass and voice – LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT PROVIDED)
A. Prepare 3 “standard” tunes:
- Medium Swing
- Straight eighth (bossa nova, samba)
- Vocalists will provide 3 copies of all lead sheets in their key)
Be prepared to:
- Improvise on each tune
- Embellish the melody using jazz interpretation
- Pianists and Guitarists may play one standard unacompanied
B. Play “Blues” in any key of your choice.
- Be able to play a melody (head) and improvise.
- ALL Major Scales Half Note M.M.=120
- ALL Natural, Melodic, and Harmonic Minor scales. Half Note M.M.=120
The audition will also consist of sight reading different styles of music. Jazz, Latin, Straight 8th (Latin or rock).
Audition Requirements Drums and Percussion
Prepare a solo piece (2-5 minutes-sticks and brushes) demonstrating various styles including:
- SWING: med. swing, fast swing, shuffle, funk (hip-hop)
- STRAIGHT EIGHTHS: straight 8th (bossa nova, mambo, salsa, samba, songo etc.)
- Be prepared to “trade 4′s” on all of the above styles-LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT PROVIDED
B] AUDITION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURE FOR JAZZ ENSEMBLES
Tuesday January 21 @ 5:00 Room CY 159 (first day of classes)
- Big Bands
1. Required Tune [Jazz Majors only] “On The Brink”
[Click to download part. Tempo is med/up swing. Half note = 110]
2. Perform a Jazz tune of your choice [all students]
Perform a (jazz) selection of your choice that can best demonstrate your jazz experience both technically and musically.
- Jazz Majors will perform this selection from memory.
- Non – majors may select a jazz standard from the “Real Book” [or any other composition] – it need not be memorized.
3. Woodwind players will demonstrate their experience with all doubles (it is not required that non-jazz majors double)
4. Sight Reading
5. Improvisation (required of Jazz Majors)
Questions? Contact CSU Northridge Jazz at: firstname.lastname@example.org
JAZZ “A” BAND
The Flagship Large Jazz Ensemble of the CSU Northridge Jazz Studies Program.
Rehearsal Schedule: Mon-Wed from 5:00PM to 7:40PM
- Awarded “Best Large Ensemble” by Downbeat Magazine 36th Annual Student Music Awards 2013
- The 2012, 2010 and 2008 Monterey “Next Generation” Jazz Festival/First-Place Collegiate Division.
- 2012, 2006 and 2005 Reno Jazz Festival/First-Place Collegiate Division.
- 2012 California Alliance for Jazz (CAJ) State Championships/First-Place Collegiate Division Collegiate Division
- First place Collegiate Big Band at the 2011 Super Jazz Festival
JAZZ “B” BAND – “Studio Jazz Ensemble”
Rehearsal Schedule: Tues-Thurs 5:30PM to 6:45PM
- Rated among the top 5 Collegiate Big Bands at the 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005 Reno Jazz Festivals
JAZZ “C” BAND – “Jazz Lab Big Band”
Rehearsal Schedule: Tues-Thurs 4:00PM to 5:15PM
- Performs campus concerts and local jazz festivals
JAZZ “D” BAND – “Workshop”
Rehearsal Schedule: Monday evenings 7:30PM – 9:30PM
Small Bands and Combos
- “JAZZ COMBOS” Class Schedule: Wednesdays 7:30PM. REQUIRED OF ALL JAZZ STUDIES MAJORS – 10 Ensembles
- “LATIN ENSEMBLE” - Rehearsal Schedule: Mondays 12:30PM – 2:30PM. (Auditions by appointment only)
- “NuVeau Art Ensemble”. Avant-garde improvisation Ensemble Rehearsal Schedule: Tuesdays 7:30PM (jazz majors only, by invitation)
- “R&B” Band (by invitation)Gary Pratt