FACULTY POSITION OPENING:
Assistant Professor of Music - Musicianship and Theory
click for complete job posting
- DMA or PhD in music theory, composition, or performance
- Ideal candidate will have university-level experience teaching musicianship/ear training and music theory, excellent keyboard skills, and expert knowledge of current sight-singing methods and techniques involving various solfège systems.
- An established record of successful music research, creative work, or music performances.
- Demonstrate a commitment to working with a diverse student and faculty population.
CSUN is a Learning Centered University. The successful candidate will be expected to join faculty and staff in a commitment to active learning, to the assessment of learning outcomes, and to multiple pathways that enable students to graduate.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to work in the United States.
Evidence of degree(s) at time of hire.
- Teach and coordinate courses in the musicianship area.
- Teach courses in a secondary area of expertise, such as music theory, composition, or performance, as well as perform other duties as assigned by the music department.
- Demonstrate consistent year-to-year development of publishing, performance or professional activity.
- Provide access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication, and other appropriate methods.
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae and three letters of recommendation, as well as a brief statement discussing the candidate’s teaching philosophy in the areas of undergraduate musicianship and theory. Other materials, such as samples of research and publications, original compositions or recordings may be requested at a later date. We encourage and welcome applications from active performers who would enjoy participating in the important responsibilities of training our music students for the demands of the 21st century.
Application Deadline: Screening of application will begin on December 2, 2013 and position will remain open until filled.
Inquiries, applications and nominations should be addressed to:
Prof. Ron Borczon, Chair
Department of Music
California State University Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St
Northridge, CA 91330-8314
Part-Time Staff Pianists
We are seeking qualified collaborative pianists to work with our voice and instrumental faculty/students.
Under general supervision of the Music Department Chair, the part-time staff pianist serves on an on-call basis, rehearsing with vocal and instrumental students prior to their lessons/juries/performances, accompanying students during lessons/studio classes, and performing in recitals.
Equivalent to special training or coursework that would facilitate collaborating, coaching, accompanying, and improvising accompaniment when necessary. Experience which has led to a thorough familiarity with accompanying vocal/instrumental students, and small/large ensembles. Knowledge, Specialized Skills, and Abilities: Artistry, knowledge, and mastery in one or more of the following: string and wind repertoire; operatic and art song repertoire.
Anticipated hiring range: $18.06 - $20.00 per hour , dependent upon qualifications and experience.
Temporary-renewable; end date to be determined.
HOURS: Intermittent; on-call; hours and schedule varies.
Directions on how to apply:
1) Go to : http://www-admn.csun.edu/ohrs/employment/
2) In the middle pane, click on New and Returning Job Seekers (External Applicants)
3) In the left pane, click on View Job Openings
4) In the Currently Viewing All Open Job Postings Pane, click on Job Title to sort the list alphabetically
5) Find Accompanist (continuous) : Job ID: 2850 and click for details.