A BACHELOR OF ARTS degree is given with emphasis in Music Education, Music Industry Studies, Music Therapy, and Breadth Studies in Music. The latter degree, a flexible program with a minimum performance requirement, allows students to combine studies in music with other fields of interest. Entrance auditions are required for all BA options.
The Department of Music admits new students to the program every Fall and Spring semesters and offers a wide range of scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate students. All students are required to pass an entrance audition, and all undergraduate students must also complete a Musicianship and Keyboard placement exam. Here at CSUN Music Department, we offer several entrance audition dates throughout the calendar year, as well as scholarship auditions for incoming freshman and transfer students during the Spring semester auditions.
For more information, please download the Prospective Music Student Handbook (in PDF format), or visit the CSUN Prospective Students/Parents Page.
ALL APPLICANTS TO THE MUSIC PROGRAM ARE REQUIRED TO:
- Meet all eligibility requirements for admission to California State University, Northridge either as a freshman or transfer student. Deadline for freshman applicants is November 30th.
- Submit a Music Department audition/scholarship application (also found under AUDITION AND PLACEMENT).
- Successfully pass the performance entrance audition.
- Take the musicianship and keyboard placement exams (tests are offered once per semester).
- Meet with faculty area coordinators to discuss course selection.