Awards and Scholarships
The Department of Journalism awards scholarships based on superior performance, financial need and academic record. Scholarship awards range from $250 to more than $25,000 and are given to majors considering careers in journalism. Scholarships are available in print, broadcast, public relations, photojournalism and for graduate students.
In addition to Department awards, ongoing scholarships are sponsored by the Radio-Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and a number of other professional organizations, national foundations and private donors.
Several of the scholarships offered through the Department are in memory of CSUN journalism alumni and students. Scholarships are funded by donations from friends, family, colleagues, professional media organizations and alumni.
A variety of scholarships are available to journalism students through a number of other professional organizations, such as the Asian American Journalism Association, the Public Relations Student Society of America, the Hispanic Public Relations Society, the California Chicano News Media Association and the Society of Professional Journalists.
In addition, scholarships outside of the journalism department may be accessed at CSUN STARS Online
NOTE: Students receiving financial aid should be aware that scholarship money they are awarded might be used by the university to repay an outstanding balance on their loan.
Spring 2014 Journalism Scholarships
- Roy S. Akers Journalism Scholarship
- Angus Campbell Scholarship in Hard News Journalism
- Ben Hecht Scholarship in Entertainment Journalism
- Chevron Outstanding Public Relations Student Awards
- Joann DeSantis Advocacy Award
- Michael Emery Memorial Scholarship
- Lisa Endig Writing Scholarship
- Steven Fishman Memorial Scholarship Award
- Flip Wilson Memorial Scholarship
- Hearst Broadcast News and In-Depth Reporting Award
- Journalism Alumni Association Scholarship Program
- National Notary Association Scholarship
- Outstanding Photojournalism Student Scholarship
- Tom Reilly Student Journalism Enterprise Fund
- San Fernando Valley Public Relations Roundtable Scholarship
- Agness Underwood Reporting Award
- Valley Press Club Scholarship for Community Journalism