With more than 5,300 alumni since its inception in 1958, the Journalism Department’s faculty and staff maintain strong and longstanding ties to the profession. Many graduates are well-known, such as CNBC’s Sue Herera and Bill Griffeth, who both have been honored as CSUN Distinguished Alumni, and former Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle.
Hundreds more are well represented across the spectrum of both legacy and new media outlets not just in Los Angeles but across the U.S. and around the world. Many recent graduates are practicing journalism at a wide array of organizations. Here is a sampling from the class of 2013:
- Lida Alikhani, reporter, KVEW-TV, Kennewick, Wash.
- Vianey Arana, news assistant, KABC-TV, Los Angeles
- Christina Cocca, web producer, KNBC-TV, Los Angeles
- Charnae Davenport, reporter, WFFT-TV, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Jonathan Gonzalez, investigative reporter, KBAK-TV, Bakersfield, Calif.
- Gabrielle Moreira, reporter, The Acorn, Simi Valley
- Kat Russell, photojournalist, Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, Ky.
- Andrew Lopez, NBC LA, Los Angeles
- Irene Moore, NBC LA, Los Angeles
- Yazmin Cruz, Ventura County Star, Ventura, Calif.
- Megan Diskin, Ventura County Star, Ventura, Calif.
- Anthony Carpio, Times Community News, Huntington Beach, Calif.
- Adolfo Flores, Buzzfeed, Los Angeles
- Brian De Los Santos, KPFK/Sonic Trace, Los Angeles
- Shira Moskowitz, Daily News, Longview, Wash.
- Ashley Soley-Cerro, KTLA-TV, Los Angeles
- Milena Brown, Penguin Random House, New York, N.Y.
- Kim Proescholdt, City of Hope, Duarte, Calif.
- Betsy Sanchez, Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, Calif.
- Syvetril Perryman, J.D. Power and Associates, Westlake Village, Calif.
- Sheryl Norris, Kaiser Permanente, Burbank, Calif.
- Christopher Nunan, Monster, Inc., San Francisco, Calif.
- Brian Carillo, Warner Bros. Consumer Products, Los Angeles
- Keisha Raines, Autry National Center of the American West, Los Angeles
- Julissa Rodriguez, Visit West Hollywood, West Hollywood, Calif.
- Lindsay de la Rosa, Salem Communications, Camarillo, Calif.