With more than 5,300 alumni since its inception in 1958, the Journalism Department’s faculty and staff maintain strong and longstanding ties to the profession. Many graduates are well-known, such as CNBC’s Sue Herera and Bill Griffeth, who both have been honored as CSUN Distinguished Alumni, and former Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle, who will give this year’s Honors Convocation address during Commencement week.
Hundreds more are well represented across the spectrum of both legacy and new media outlets not just in Los Angeles but across the U.S. and around the world. Many recent graduates are practicing journalism at a wide array of organizations. Here is a sampling from the class of 2013:
- Lida Alikhani, reporter, KVEW-TV, Kennewick, Wash.
- Vianey Arana, news assistant, KABC-TV, Los Angeles
- Christina Cocca, web producer, KNBC-TV, Los Angeles
- Charnae Davenport, reporter, WFFT-TV, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Jonathan Gonzalez, investigative reporter, KBAK-TV, Bakersfield, Calif.
- Gabrielle Moreira, reporter, The Acorn, Simi Valley
- Kat Russell, photojournalist, Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, Ky.