The Undergraduate Major in Communication Studies provides:
- Inquiry into the complexity and diversity of communication contexts, processes, issues and effects in today’s global world.
- Humanistic, aesthetic and social scientific investigation of the problems people face when they use language and other symbolic systems to work with and influence others.
- Instruction in the communication skills and knowledge people need to function effectively in a variety of professional and social contexts at both the domestic and international levels.
Undergraduate Program Learning Outcomes
Students receiving a degree from the Communication Studies Department will be able to:
- Identify, describe, and explain the role of communication in constructing reality through concepts, practices, and rituals.
- Analyze communication practices, structures, messages, and effects in a variety of contexts.
- Describe and explain the relationship between communication and culture.
- Appropriately identify effective and ethical communication.
- Identify and apply techniques for effectively communicating in a multicultural global society.