Scholarly and Creative Activities
Published critical book editions of film texts of FORCE OF EVIL, ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW, BODY AND SOUL, and the YOU ARE THERE TELEPLAYS of Abraham Polonsky; journal essays on the Hollywood Blacklist, the Eastern Writer in Hollywood, the Film Noir Artist, the Small Town in American Film, director Mitchell Leisen, writer Edwin Justus Mayer, critic Robert E. Sherwood, George Jean Nathan and the Dramatist in Hollywood.
Documentary Film and Video Productions
HOLLYWOOD SCREENWRITERS AND THEIR CRAFT, HOLLYWOOD DIRECTORS AND THEIR CRAFT, THE HOLLYWOOD WRITER: THE STUDIO YEARS, FILM NOIR.
Philosophy underscores the paramount need for engaged critical thinking, as manifested through frequent, extended, and documented analytical writing and other verbal expression. All course structure and content are designed to ensure disciplined intellectual and ethical academic performance. All criticism is education, and all education is criticism attempting to make the work of art and life itself comprehensible.
PhD. 1973 University of Southern California
M.A. 1970 University of California, Los Angeles
B.A. 1964 John Carroll University
- CTVA 210 Aesthetics of Film Sound (.pdf)
- CTVA 210 Cronkite Essay "YAT" on NPR (.pdf)
- CTVA 210 Differences between Mainstream and Art Cinema (.pdf)
- CTVA 210 Sample Exam (.pdf)
- CTVA 210 Final Examination Guide (.pdf)
- CTVA 210 Documentary Film Handout (.pdf)
- CTVA 309 Readings (.doc) | CTVA 309 Readings (.pdf)
- CTVA 309 Existentialism Exercise (.pdf)
- CTVA 310 Readings (.doc)
- CTVA 310 Research Assignment: Budd Schulberg's The Disenchanted (.doc)
- CTVA 319 Auteurism Worksheet: John Huston (.doc)