General Procedures on Making an Appointment:
Academic advisement is available by appointment Monday through Friday, including later hours on Wednesday evenings.
Those who are 5 minutes late to their appointment will be asked to reschedule. To ensure all students are served in a timely fashion, we ask that you please be on time.
- During non-registration periods (September through mid-November and February through May) appointments are scheduled for 20-minute sessions.
- During registration period (June through August and mid-November through January) appointments during this period are 10- minutes long and are designed for quick registration questions. Students who need assistance with long term planning are asked to schedule an appointment during the non-registration periods.
Students may meet with any Liberal Studies advisor. Appointments are made on a first-to-arive basis. Please plan your appointment well in advance and call us if you need to cancel. Please read the advisement procedures below that explain how to get started according to the Option or Program you intend to follow.
Pre-Credential, ITEP-Junior, and Interdisciplinary Studies Option:
- The process of advisement for these options begin with required completion of a Liberal Studies Workshop. Workshops are open to everyone, but an evaluation and advisement appointment are available only to those students who have applied to CSUN and declared/will declare Liberal Studies as their major. NOTE - A Liberal Studies workshop is required because the detailed information about the program cannot be covered in a single advisement appointment.
- Pre-Credential/ITEP-Junior Option or Interdisciplinary Studies Option students must complete one of the following online student workshops.
- After completing a Workshop, students who have applied to CSUN will receive an evaluation of their courses.
- After receiving a Liberal Studies evaluation (2-3 weeks after attending a workshop), a student may then make an individual advisement appointment.
- It is strongly recommended that students seek academic advisement at least once per academic year.
- For students on Academic Probation, advisement is required to clear registration holds and to discuss a plan to guide the student back to good academic standing. Subsequent appointments are suggested to monitor the student's academic progress.
- First semester and second semester Freshman at CSUN who are declared Liberal Studies will be advised by the College of Humanities, Student Services Center/EOP advisement office. Those wanting to change their major or declare Liberal Studies during their first two semester should seek advisment in the College of Humanities, Student Services Center/EOP advisement office. You may schedule an appointment with them in person by visiting Jerome Richfield Hall, room 240, or by caling (818) 677-4784.
- In the middle of the second semester, students will be directed to transition from the College of Humanities, Student Services Center/EOP advisement office to the Liberal Studies Program. Before scheduling an advisement appointment with Liberal Studies, students must complete one of the online student workshops.
Career Ladder participants are immediately eligible for advisement with out having to complete an online student workshop (although it is highly recommended). Career Ladder students must call the Liberal Studies office at (818) 677-3300 and identify themselves as "Career Ladder" and provide their LAUSD Employee I.D. number in order to schedule an advisement appointment.