What is Learning Analytics?
Learning Analytics is the use of data to analyze student progress and performance, predict future performance, and personalize student learning. Moodle has powerful learning analytic tools available to enable faculty to analyze student behaviors and improve delivery of instructional materials. In addition to logs and reports, Moodle’s features allow faculty to limit student access to activities based on set criteria and allow students to visually track their progress. Moodle functionality can also monitor and track students using a set of criteria and standards configured by the instructor. These “rules” are triggered by certain events, conditions or actions within the course which then activates a predetermined action.
How do I use Learning Analytics?
Moodle has many learning analytics features and tools that faculty can use to monitor, analyze, customize and personalize learning for students. Faculty can use the following features (note: some require enabling):
- View Reports - Access data (logs) about students, activities, login time, frequency, and run customized reports. Particularly useful for one-on-one meetings with students and analyzing access and usage data about instructional materials in your course. Access these features via the Navigation Block for your course under Reports.
- Conditional Activities/Restricting Access - Control access to activities based on set criteria. Useful for making sure students reach a proficiency level before moving on or to ensure students complete assignments in a particular order. Multiple criteria may be added to a single activity. For example, students must receive a 100% on Syllabus Quiz AND a 90% or above on Assignment #1 before they can submit Assignment #2. Enable this feature in your course via the Settings Block in Edit settings under Student progress, Completion Tracking.
- Activity Completion - Use this feature to allow students to visually track progress by checking off activities as they are completed. Completion can be set to allow students to mark items manually or automatically for completed activities with or without a criteria you set. Enable this feature in your course via the Settings Block in Edit settings under Student progress, Completion Tracking.
- Personalized Learning Designer (PLD) - This powerful, custom tool allows you to monitor and track students using a set of criteria and standards that you configure. These “rules” are triggered by certain events, conditions or actions within your course which then activates a predetermined action. For example, you can set a rule to email students who did not meet the passing score on a quiz. Access the PLD in your course via the Settings Block under Personalized Learning Designer.
- Advanced Reports (called joule Reports) - Additional advanced reports can be enabled and include Exception Reports and Correlation Reports. Note: To enable these reports you need to contact the FTC (email@example.com) preferably at the beginning of the semester to turn on this feature. Once enabled you will access the reports via the Settings Block under joule Reports.
How can I learn more about Learning Analytics?
What training is available at CSUN?
Training classes will be scheduled throughout the semester. Please check our Training Schedule for workshop dates and times. If you would like to request specialized training, please contact the Faculty Technology Center. We also provide online tutorials and guides for many tools.
How can I get more help?
If you have questions, please contact the Faculty Technology Center, (818) 677-3443, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Learning Technologies