Faculty Moodle Help - How do I add a student or teaching assistant to my course?
If a student was not automatically enrolled into your Moodle course or you would like to add a student or TA not listed on your class roster, you may do so by following the steps below.
Note: These instructions will work for adding any role (librarian, observer, etc.)
- From the course homepage, locate the Settings block and select Users > Enrolled users.
- Select the Enroll users button and a small pop-up window appears.
- In the Assign Roles pull-down menu, select the role you would like to add to the user.
- At the bottom of the pop-up window, enter the user's name or email address and select the Search button.
- TIP: Make sure you search for the user's official name registered with the university i.e. Robert Smith instead of Bob Smith. If you search for a user and you do not find them, make sure that they have logged into Moodle before. If they have never logged in then their account has not been created in the system.
- The user will then appear in the pop-up window. Select the Enroll button next to their name.
- Select the Finish enrolling users button at bottom of the pop-up window. This will close the pop-up window.
- The user will then appear under the Enrolled users list.
If you would like a user to be added to your course but not appear in your Participants list, you may add them as a "hidden user". An example of this is you want to add your department chair to your course so s/he may check on how the course is going. You do not want your students to see s/he is in the course though. To do so:
- From the course homepage, locate the Settings block and select Users > Other users.
- Select the Assign Roles button.
- At the bottom of the pop-up window in the Search field, enter the user's name or email address and then hit Enter on your keyboard.
- The user will then appear. Select the link for the role you desire to add the user at.
- Select the Close "X" icon in the upper right of pop-up window.
- The user will then appear under the Other User list.
Note: Users added as an "Other user" will not have the course appear on their My Courses list. They would need to bookmark or search for the class to access.