TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers

TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers 

The Treaty NAFTA (TN) category permits Canadian or Mexican citizens entry to the United States to be employed in certain designated professions, and/or engage in certain designated professional activities.

TN status allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to engage in professional business activities in the U.S. on a temporary basis for a period of up to three years. The following eligibility requirements must be met.

  • The applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico.
  • The position is for a profession on the NAFTA list (Appendix 1603.D.1 of NAFTA treaty), and the minimum qualification is a baccalaureate degree or appropriate credentials demonstrating status as a professional.
  • The Canadian or Mexican applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for a U.S. employer. Self-employment is not permitted.
  • The professional Canadian or Mexican citizen has the qualifications of the profession.

TN status can be extended for periods of up to three years at a time. There is no cumulative total limit on the time a Canadian or Mexican citizen can be in TN status, provided the stay remains temporary in nature.

Furthermore, TN status is employer specific. Dependents of TN holders are eligible for Trade Dependent (TD) status. TD holders are not eligible to work in the U.S.

To request TN classification for Canadian and Mexican prospective California State University, Northridge faculty, or to extend TN status, please contact Marta Lopez at (818) 677-3053 or at, and Patricia Marquez at to submit the necessary information to prepare the letter you will need to present at the U.S. Port of Entry.