Fall 2014 Reminders for Continuing International Students

Registration Periods

Early Registration begins.* Friday, May 5th, 2014
Maximum load: 13 units*
From your registration appointment through July 13, 2014
Nonrestrictive Registration.
Maximum load: 16 units*
Wait listing is available. See the guide, Wait List for Closed Classes.
July 14, 2014 - August 24, 2014 (No appointment needed.)

*Repeating courses is permitted beginning Monday, August 11, 2014.

Registration Holds

Foreign "F" Hold- IESC will start to review your proof of health Insurance in April 2014. Your "F" hold will be removed automatically if you have all of the following:

  • Health, repatriation and evacuation insurance valid until at least 12/23/2014;
  • You are either enrolled full-time for spring 2014 or have submitted proof of concurrent enrollment or were approved for part-time status for spring 2014; and
  • You have emailed your proof of health insurance to insurance@csun.edu with your NAME and CSUN ID # in subject line.

Other Registration Holds- Review your web portal for information on other registration holds. Get all holds removed prior to your assigned registration appointment. Do not wait until your assigned appointment date to get registration holds removed. Allow plenty of time for campus departments to process your requests.

Learn how to view your holds in the CSUN Portal.

Registering for Classes

Classes fill-up quickly.
Class registration begins on May 5th. You will receive an assigned registration appointment date. Learn how to view your registration appointment in the CSUN Portal. Enroll in classes on the day of your assigned registration appointment for the best selection of classes. Learn how to add classes.

The Add/Drop Deadline: September 13, 2014
You must be enrolled in full-time units by this date. Remember that IESC must report your enrollment information to the Department of Homeland Security each semester. Meet with a Foreign Student Advisor (FSA) no later than the first week of classes if you have not been able to enroll in full-time units.

Full-Time Enrollment Requirement
Undergraduate students (bachelor's and 2nd bachelor's) must enroll in at least 12 units every semester. Graduate students must enroll in at least 8 units every semester.

Part-time status is only authorized for special extenuating circumstances that fall within USCIS regulations. Before you drop below the full-time requirement, you are required to meet with a FSA to discuss your class schedule and the circumstances in detail. Do not drop any classes until the FSA has authorized you to do so.

Online Course Limitation
International students are permitted to take one online class or its equivalent to 3 units of online class each semester to count towards their full-time enrollment.

Note: If you only have one class left to take to graduate, that class must be taken as an in-class, traditional course to be in compliance with legal guidelines governing your F-1 status.

Concurrent Enrollment
Students may choose to enroll in classes at another school while they are also enrolled at CSUN. Your SEVIS record would remain at CSUN even though you are enrolled concurrently at another school. If you choose to enroll concurrently at another school, you must do the following by the Add/Drop deadline:

  • Enroll in minimum 6 units at CSUN if you are an undergraduate student and in minimum 4 units at CSUN if you are a graduate student.
  • Submit the completed Concurrent Enrollment Request Form for fall 2014 to the IESC for a permission letter to take classes concurrently at the other school.
  • After you have enrolled at the other school, submit proof of concurrent enrollment to IESC within one week of picking up your Concurrent Enrollment letter.

These requirements are in compliance with Department of Homeland Security regulations and cannot be changed under any circumstances.

Registration/Tuition Fee Payment

Payment information is available at the University Cash Services Office
Payment Schedule and Deadlines
How to pay your fees

WARNING: Students who fail to meet the payment deadline will automatically be dropped from their classes which may affect their F1 status.

Travel Signature and Visa Renewal

Valid Travel Signature
Travelling outside the U.S.? Make sure you have a valid travel signature for your re-entry to the U.S. Submit the Travel Signature Request Form along with your CSUN I-20 to the IESC. Each travel signature is valid for 1 year from the date it was signed.

Visa Renewal
If you are travelling outside the U.S. and need to renew your F-1 visa, you must request a travel signature. You are responsible for preparing all other documents required by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country. For more information, please visit Visa Application.

Working in the U.S.

On-Campus Employment
F1 students are authorized to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, and full time during summer and winter vacations. Please meet with a Foreign Student Advisor to get the Verification of International Student Status form completed. Read more about On-Campus Employment.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Are you graduating this semester? Do you want work experience in your field of study after you graduate? Attend a mandatory OPT Workshop this semester to learn more about OPT and the application process. View the OPT Workshop Dates.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Do you have a paid internship off-campus? Make sure you request the CPT Authorization from a Foreign Student Advisor at the IESC BEFORE you begin the internship. Read more information on CPT.

Personal and Emergency Contact Information
To be in compliance with U.S. Immigration Regulations, it is extremely important that the university has current contact information for all international students AT ALL TIMES. Failure to update your personal information with the university will put your immigration status in jeopardy.

Need to update your contact information? If you have changed your address, telephone number, email and/or emergency contact information, simply update the CSUN web portal (SOLAR), and IESC will take care of the rest! Learn more about how to update your personal information in the Portal.