National Student Exchange

What is the National Student Exchange (NSE) program, am I eligible and how long can I go for?

The National Student Exchange (NSE) provides opportunities for you, as an undergraduate, to study for up to one calendar year at another NSE member college or university. With nearly 190 colleges and universities to choose from, you should be able to find a campus with just the right combination of courses, facilities, and environment to meet your personal and academic needs and interests. Please note that the NSE program extends beyond the borders of the United States to include U.S. territories as well as some Canadian provinces. If you are eligible to participate, you will join the more than 85,000 students who have been placed in life-changing exchange situations. These students have challenged their thinking, expanded their educational and personal experiences, taken risks and reaped the rewards of doing so.


You must be a full-time student at your home campus at both time of application and in the term prior to exchange. You are also expected to remain a full-time student while on exchange. To participate, you may be a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. Graduates are also eligible for some campuses, but are urged to consult with a graduate advisor as there are limitations on the number of transferable units. You also need a G.P.A. of 2.5 in order to be eligible to apply.

Length of Stay

Students may participate in the exchange for a period not to exceed one academic year. The exchange may take place for one semester, or one academic year.