WELCOME TO THE CSUN AAS ARCHIVAL PAGE!
Since 2009, we have decided to keep track of our activities and events. If you have pictures and comments of things to add of past events, please let our webmaster know. This page has three main links. The first is a selective timeline, the second has a list of links to photo galleries; and the third has a list of past events.
AAS Selected Timeline
- 1981 - First proposals for AAS courses.
- Beginning in 1986, Introduction to Asian Americans, was taught in the Anthropology Department by Dr. Laura Uba.
- 1988 - CSUN professors approach student groups about the concept of AAS and invite them to a meeting to talk about it in a group. Concept of having an organized student network to support the department was born. The Asian Pacific Students Alliance was founded (APSA) with about 12 APA student groups as members and Gary Mayeda elected as it's first president.
- 1989 - First Asian Pacific American Cultural Awareness Week was sponsored by APSA to promote culture, diversity, Asian American Cuisine, and fun.
- 1990 - Former Academic Affairs Vice President, Bob Suzuki, creates the Asian American Studies Department at CSUN. Student leaders such as Gary Mayeda and faculty members such as Laura Uba, George Uba, Tim Dagodag, Warren Furumoto, Michael Ego, and Dr. Gordon Nakagawa push to expand the department's curriculum and become the first faculty in the Department. Dr. Kenyon Chan becomes the first Chair of the Department.
- 1992 - AAS minor is established.
- 1994 - First tenure-track faculty is hired, Professor Timothy Fong.
- 1996 - Dr. Teresa Williams-León joins the faculty.
- 1997 - Dr. James Sobredo joins the faculty.
- 1997 - B.A. Major/Double Major curriculum is offered. One of the first AAS departments/programs to offer courses on biracial-multiracial studies and Asian American sexuality.
- 1998 - Dr. George Uba serves as interim Chair.
- 1999 - First graduates from CSUN with a major in Asian American Studies.
- 2000 - Dr. Enrique de la Cruz joins the department as Chair; Professor Allan Aquino and Professor Maria Turnmeyer join the department; APSA is reborn as the Asian American Studies Student Association (AASSA).
- 2001 - Dr. Gina Masequesmay joins the faculty in January.
- 2001 - Dr. Steven Ropp and Dr. Edith Chen join the department in Fall.
- 2002 - Dr. Eunai Shrake and Dr. Ayanna Yonemura (with a joint position in Urban Studies) join the department.
- 2003 - Dr. Vivian Tseng joins the department; Dr. Gordon Nakagawa serves as interim Chair.
- 2004 - Dr. Teresa Williams-Leon becomes Chair.
- 2006 - 23 majors graduate with a BA degree in Asian American Studies.
- 2007 - Dr. Gina Masequesmay serves as interim Chair in January.
- 2007 - Dr. Tracy Buenavista joins the department in Fall.
- 2008- Dr. Sandra Stanley becomes interim Chair.
- 2011 - Dr. Tomo Hattori and Dr. Clement Lai join the department.
- 2012 - Dr. Gina Masequesmay becomes Chair.
- 2013 - Dr. Khanum Shaikh joins the department in a joint position with GWS.
- 2014 - The Asian House is renamed the Glenn Omatsu House in honor of Professor Omatsu's work and donation.
Each list item below is a link to a gallery at the Picasa Google website. Each gallery has a list of photos to view. Please note that once you enter the Picasa website, it may no longer be ADA compliant.
- CSUN Volunteer Service Award 2016, Enrique & Prosy dela Cruz
- AAS October Student Hangout 2016
- AAS and Health Forum 2016
- AAS Welcome Back Event 2016
- Chinese Historical Society at the 2016 Southern California Golden Spike Award
- AAS 2016 Graduation
- AAS 2014 Graduation Reception
- 2014 AAS Faculty presenting at the San Fernando Valley JACL
- May Day Protest, 2014
- AAS 2014 APAHM Celebration: Activist Panel
- AAS 2014 Glenn Omatsu House Dedication
- AAS 2014 Distinguished Speaker and Awards Ceremony
- AAS 2014 AAAS Conference with Students and Alumni
- AAS 2013 Graduation Reception
- AAS DACA Presentation, October 2012
- AAS 2012 Distinguished Lecturer and Student Awards Night
- AAS 2011 Graduation
- March 2nd, 2011 CSUN Protest
- AAS 2010 Graduation
- March 4th, 2010 CSUN Protest
- AAS Some Pictures from 2001 to 2009
- AAS older pictures of alumni