Want to teach in the AAS department at CSUN? We are pleased to post the part-time job announcements for the 2017 to 2018 Academic Year. Click here for the Part-time job announcements for the 2017-2018 Academic Year (.pdf)
- Please join us for our February Hangout and AAS Movie Night on Wednesday, February 22nd, from 4:00PM to 6:00PM, in the Whitsett Room (SH451)! Enjoy free pizza with students and faculty as we commemorate "The Day of Remembrance" with a screening of "American Pastime", a fictional account of the Nomura family's internment experience at Camp Topaz in Utah during WWII. Click here for more information (.pdf)
- The AAS department is Calling for Students to submit their essays on "Asian Americans and Education" for The Abarquez Prize in Asian American Studies at CSUN. Get more information and submission instructions here.
- The Asian American Studies department is looking to hire a student assistant. Get the job description and application instructions.
- You are cordially invited to the Asian American Studies Department speaker event and end-of-year holiday mixer with students, faculty, and CSUN alumni. The theme is Asian Americans and Politics.
December 8th, Thursday. 4pm-6pm Location: Colleagues Room, 2nd Floor Sierra Center
See our flyer for more details (.pdf)
- Donuts with the Department, AAS November Hangout -- Come hang out and chill at the Omatsu House with AAS majors, minors, and other students! (Professors and staff welcome too). Donuts & coffee provided by the AAS Department. Tuesday, November 29, 11 AM - 2 PM, at the Omatsu House
View our event flyer (.pdf)
- Need Assistance with Written Assignments? Need Assistance with a Reading Assignment? The Asian American Studies Tutoring/Mentoring Program is here to help! Text 213-500-3299 for an appointment with a tutor. Check out our flyer for more details.
- Learn about community-based solutions for addressing obesity and other health-related issues in Asian American and Pacific Islander communities on November 7th, from 4pm-6pm, in Jerome Richfield 352! View our event flyer!
The AAS October Departmental "Hang-Out" event will be on October 31st 11:30 a.m. ~ 2 p.m. in the Whitsett Room (4th floor of Sierra Hall). Free pizza and Halloween candy for all who attend!
Why is it problematic to "dress up" as members of various "ethnic groups?" Come and join our critical discussion!
See you there!
View our event flyer!
- The AAS department is co-sponsoring with the China Institute at CSUN for a special film screening of "My Life in China," an award-winning documentary film on the Chinese American immigrant experience from 6 to 9 pm on Oct. 6, 2016 in the Ferman Presentation Room at the Oviatt Library. Please come, enjoy the film and meet the director.
- We are proud to announce that the Asian American Studies Department was recently awarded the Golden Spike Award by The Chinese Historical Society of Southern California! Learn more about this tremendous honor here! For more information in Chinese click here.
You are invited to the Asian American Studies Department's "Welcome Back" Event for current majors, minors, and interested students! Please join our faculty, staff, and special guests as we explore all that our program has to offer. View our flyer here!
DATE: Tuesday September 13, 2016
TIME: 2:00pm – 5:00pm
LOCATION: Colleagues Room, 2nd Floor of Sierra Center
DRINKS AND FOOD PROVIDED!
- Check out photos of our Asian American Studies 25th Anniversary celebration.
- The AAS Fall 2016 Schedule of Classes is now available. Check it out if you are interested in taking one of our classes.
- The AAS Department is proud to announce that Professor Derek Tang has been awarded the 2016 Polished Apple Award, by the CSUN University Ambassadors. Students nominate professors for this award based on “exemplary teaching, mentorship and their positive impact on students' lives”. Congratulations Professor Tang!
- Join us as we celebrate our graduates at the AAS Graduation Reception, Monday, May 23rd, from 2:30pm to 4:15 pm in the Whitsett Room (Sierra Hall 451). Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org before the event. For more information check out our flyer here.
- See our department brochure (.pdf)
- The AAS Department is delighted to announce that the National Institutes of Health awarded a $50,000 grant to Dr. Edith Chen for her project “BUILD@CSUN Pilot Project: Is Acculturation putting Asian Americans at risk for diabetes and obesity?” Congratulations Dr. Chen!
- We are happy to announce teaching opportunities for lecturers next academic year of 2016-2017. Please see our employment page.
- The Asian American Studies Tutoring/Mentor Program is here to help you succeed! Need help with your writing? Looking for a group study space? Just need reliable computer access? The AAS Tutoring/Mentor Program can help you with these issues and more. Learn more about their services and hours here!
- The AAS Spring 2016 Schedule of Classes is now available. Check it out if you are interested in taking one of our classes.
- Prof. Hutchison just had his article, "The Harlan Renaissance: Colorblindness and White Domination in Justice John Marshall Harlan's Dissent in Plessy v. Ferguson," published in the Journal of African American Studies on September 28, 2015.
- Catch up on all the exciting AAS events and read some of the dynamic student perspectives that shape our department in the latest newsletter. View our newsletter now!