The Master of Science Degree
The Environmental and Occupational Health Program offers a Master of Science degree in Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences. An Industrial Hygiene Option is available, allowing this designation to appear on transcript and diploma.
The MS program is built on a foundation of course work provided by the BS - Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences offered by the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health. Thus, MS candidates will have to have completed the same courses required of BS - EOH students before becoming fully classified graduate students.
The MS degree consists of an 18 unit graduate core and 12 units of elective courses, depending on the academic interests of the student. Twenty one units must be listed as 500 unit courses or higher.
A minimum of three elective units must be 500 or 600 level course work. The current offerings are:
- EOH 565 Seminar in Industrial Safety
- EOH 560 Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology
- EOH 570 Occupational Ergonomics
The remainder may be selected from 400 level electives within the Environmental and Occupational Health program offerings. In order to receive graduate credit for these classes, students must complete a graduate course assignment for each class, in addition to the normal requirements of each class.
Core Graduate Courses
- Environmental and Occupational Health Administration (EOH 553) (offered fall semester)
- Environmental and Occupational Health Problems (EOH 554) (offered fall semester)
- Environmental and Occupational Health Programs and Standards (EOH 555) (offered spring semester)
- Research Design (4 semester units) (EOH 696A) (offered fall semester)
- Seminar: Research Methods (EOH 696B) (offered spring semester. Prerequisite: EOH 696A, and classified graduate status)
A field experience (Supervised Field Training, EOH 693B) is required of all students.
The remainder of the course units must be taken from the EOH Program elective course list, with the added work requirement mentioned above.
The capstone experience is a comprehensive examination or a master's thesis.