CSUN  Wordmark
Page Description

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Communication Disorders and Sciences wordmark

Undergraduate & Graduate Programs:

Speech Language Pathology or Audiology

Distance Learning

Department Centers

Early Intervention Program

Language Speech & Hearing Center


Faculty/Staff Directory

Driving Directions


Changes in ASHA CCC-SLP

Changes in ASHA CCC-A

ASHA Certification & State Licensure Careers

Around Campus

Learning Resource Center

CSUN Webmail

Directions to Campus

Oviatt Library

CSUN Career Center

Student Planning

Orientation 2007-08

Student Download Center

Four Year and Transfer Plans

Academic Advisement Bulletin


The College

Communication Disorders & Sciences is part of the College of Health and Human Development for more information about the college, click the link.

California State University, Northridge

Site Maintained by: Carla Romero,and Department of Communication Disorders and Sciences.


ASHA Certification and State License and School Specialist Credential

To the beginning student in speech-language pathology, the requirements for a graduate degree and eventual employment may seem quite confusing at first glance.  It is easiest to think of these requirements as following four related, but separate tracks.  One track consists of the courses and clinical practica that are necessary for a baccalaureate and for a master’s degree.  These are the requirements that will seem most familiar as they are based on classes and unit credits.

The other three tracks involve requirements for ASHA certification, state license and school specialist credential.  The department and the University do not confer a license to practice, nor do we provide professional certification. Our degree program provides the academic and clinical education that makes certification and licensure attainable.

The graduating student who has completed the appropriate courses and clinical practica must apply to the state agency having jurisdiction over the intended practice for a license and must apply to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association for certification.  Additionally, for those program graduates seeking a school specialist credential in speech-language pathology, application must be made through the Credential Office at the Michael Eisner College of Education at CSUN. 

It is emphasized that practice without a license in California is a violation of state law, unless the employment is directly with a public school.  Requirements for a license to practice speech-language pathology differ somewhat from one state to another.   Some states require a school specialist credential, issued by their state, while others require only a state license to practice in order to work in the public schools as a speech-language pathologist.

 The department provides advisement on the requirements and the processes for the degrees, licensure, certification, and school specialist credential.