CSUN  Wordmark
Page Description

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Communication Disorders and Sciences wordmark

CD Advisement Bulletin

Undergraduate & Graduate Programs:

Speech Language Pathology or Audiology

Distance Learning

Department Centers

Early Intervention Program

Language Speech & Hearing Center


Faculty/Staff Directory

Driving Directions


Changes in ASHA CCC-SLP

Changes in ASHA CCC-A

ASHA Certification & State Licensure Careers

Around Campus

Learning Resource Center

CSUN Webmail

Directions to Campus

Oviatt Library

CSUN Career Center

Student Planning

Orientation 2007-08

Student Download Center

Four Year and Transfer Plans

Academic Advisement Bulletin

FAQ's Incoming Grads Fall 08


The College

Communication Disorders & Sciences is part of the College of Health and Human Development for more information about the college, click the link.

California State University, Northridge

Site Maintained by: Alice Gluckman, College of HHD and Carla Romero, Department of Communication Disorders and Sciences.

CD Advisement Bulletin

See also FAQ page to explore advisement related issues.

Role of Faculty Advisors

Prior to enrolling in classes, all students are expected to consult their assigned faculty advisors. Faculty advisors will review student eligibility for courses and clinics and help plan the pathway to the degree.

Advisors will determine if courses taken elsewhere are equivalent to department courses and help fulfill professional KASA standards.

Advisors will bring individual KASA forms up to date while conferring with advisees.

Undergraduate faculty advisors will assist students in completing petitions for course substitution and waiver, review of DPR, and application for clinical privileges.

Graduate student advisors will assist in application for classification, submission of the MS contract, and request for permission to repeat a graduate course.

Preparing for Advisement

Students are assigned an advisor according to the first letter of their last names.

Advisors do change as new faculty join the department and as the number of students fluctuates.

The department and clinic offices will not recognize advisement for issuance of course permission numbers unless it is conducted by the assigned advisor. Faculty advisors post their hours for academic advisement.

Bring the following to advisement:

Undergraduates: You will need:

Prepare a preliminary plan of all courses and clinics that you will take each term until your projected graduation date.

Graduate students you will need:

You may need to bring

Restricted Enrollment

All department courses and clinics have restricted enrollments, except for the 12 units of the first four courses that comprise the “pre-clinical phase” (sometimes called the “basic block”, CD 405, 410, 415 and 442).

In restricted courses, enrollment is possible only through individually issued permission numbers. These numbers are given to students after advisement and prior to the beginning of the term.

Permission numbers for courses are issued by the department office and permission numbers for clinical sections are issued by the clinic office.


In some instances, the demand for enrollment will exceed the capacity of a class. If you do not receive a permission number for a lecture class, contact your faculty advisor for assistance prior to the end of the term. A new plan for the term will need to be generated.

Additionally, the department will hold three walk-in “repair days” (to be determined each semester). These sessions do not substitute for faculty advisement, but are intended to help make corrections for changes in academic plans.

For a repair, students must come in person and bring all of the materials required (as above) to consult with a faculty advisor. If you do not plan to use a permission number for a lecture class or a clinic assignment, email the department office as soon as possible.

Clinic Assignment Drops

Once a student enrolls in a clinic assignment, clients begin to contract for services at the CSUN Language, Speech and Hearing Center under the care of that student and supervisor.

By using the permission number and enrolling, students contractually commit to provide services to clients. If a student drops out of clinic once that commitment is made, it creates a personal hardship for the client and significantly disrupts the availability of services. Therefore, if a student drops clinic for any reason other than illness or an unforeseen personal emergency of an overwhelming magnitude, the student will no longer receive priority for enrollment in future clinics. Employment conflicts are not regarded as emergencies.

Official Communication

CSUN email accounts are the official means of communication with students. Permission numbers will not be available by telephone. Non-CSUN email addresses will not be used to transmit official communications.

See also FAQ page to explore advisement related issues.