Welcome to Recreation and Tourism Management, an exciting field of study that uses recreation and play as a means to enhance the quality of life for all who participate.
Our faculty have real-world experience and stay up to date with fast changing trends in the discipline. Your advisors will help you tailor an academic plan that will lead you to success in your academic and professional careers.
Our undergraduate (Bachelor of Science:Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation Management) and graduate (Master of Science: Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation Management) degree programs are designed to prepare you for this dynamic field. While the BS degree is designed to provide you entry into the field of event planning, travel/tourism and hospitality, and recreation management; the MS degree program is available to assist you in entering the administrative ranks of the profession.
Some of the professional areas students find employment in are:
- Adventure Travel Coordinator
- Club Manager
- Convention Coordinator
- Resort or Hotel Manager
- Restaurant Manager
- Tour Guide
- City Recreation and Parks
- Cruise line Manager
- Recreational Sport Entrepreneur
- State or National Parks Staff
- Residential and Day Camping Director
- Event Planner/Coordinator
- University Campus Recreation, Sport, and Intramurals
- Challenge and At-Risk Youth Programming
- Child Development and Play Advocacy Facilitation/Administration
Our teaching philosophy strikes a balance between theory and practical application. We use the classroom and real-world environments to teach, and to help you find the career path you wish to pursue.
Dr. Mechelle Best
Chair, Recreation and Tourism Management