Founded in 1976, the CSUN, California State University Northridge, Aquatic Center has become well known throughout the community - and, in fact, the nation - for its excellence in boating and water safety education. The center, which is located at Castaic Lake Recreation Area in the scenic foothills of the Santa Clarita Valley, is of the largest boating education centers in the nation, serving in upward of 10,500 individuals through its credit, non-credit and community service programs each year. Approximately one-quarter of those individuals are CSUN students, while three-quarters are members of the community. From students to community groups to at-risk youth, we truly offer something for everyone!
The Center offers the following activities:
- Water Skiing
- Personal Watercraft
- Boating Safety Education
- Nature and Environmental Walks
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
Honoring our Excellence
The CSUN Aquatic Center is proud to have received several local, state and national awards including:
- The National Recreation and Park Association Award of Excellence
- The National Safe Boating Council Youth Program of Excellence Award
- The United States Sailing Association Extraordinary Outreach and Inclusion Award
In addition, these organizations have recognized the Center for its outstanding programs:
- Amateur Athletic Foundation of Los Angeles
- California International Sailing Association
- California Police Activity League Supporters (PALS)
- City of Santa Clarita Community Center
- Los Angeles City Council
- Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors
- Los Angeles Police Department
- Los Angeles Times
Where to Find Us
We are conveniently located just 45 minutes Northwest of Los Angeles at the Castaic Lake Recreation Area. Our location is minutes from Six Flags Magic Mountain and an easy drive from major airports, including Burbank and Los Angeles International (LAX).
For information on any of our programs or to find out how you can make a difference by donating funds or usable items, such as boats or vehicles, to the Center (all donations are tax deductible), you can contact the Department of Recreation and Tourism Management office, or Executive Director Dr. Nathan Martin directly.