College of HHD

  • images of happy students at csun HHD
  • students examining leg students examining teeth students using lab equipment
  • students observing interaction between child and elder
  • csun students dancing
  • csun students and teachers in hospital setting
  • student designing students using equipment students cooking

Promotional Materials Guidelines

woman looks at an HHD brochure

Guidelines for Creating Written/Artistic Promotional Materials:

When creating fliers, brochures, web-pages and other promotional materials for departments, programs and centers in the College, please follow the guidelines in the CSUN Graphics Standards Manual to help keep messaging and branding cohesive across campus. 

CSUN Marketing and Communications is a division of University Advancement, and is CSUN’s central communications office. Their mission is to increase public understanding of and support for the university through a number of efforts, including: Strategic Communications,  Media Relations, Identity Strengthening, Publications, Websites and Social Media.

For example: they oversee the use of the CSUN Shine graphic and branding initiative:

All proposed uses of the “CSUN Shine” graphic must be approved by University Advancement, Marketing and Communications to ensure conformity with these guidelines, to coordinate multiple uses and applications, and to maximize the external impact of the overall initiative. See the CSUN Shine Graphic Standards for details. The purpose of the CSUN Shine initiative is to communicate the university’s unique identity and distinctive qualities.

CSUN Colors:
The university's colors are red, black and white. Guidelines focus on black or charcoal, white and a specific shade of red: the official CSUN red is PMS 201. If you are having something printed by a professional print house, let them know this so you'll get the right shade of red. The CSUN Wordmark is not to be re-constructed or redesigned, nor should the color be changed (unless to charcoal or black).

More specifically:  About Health and Human Development Communications:

If you are promoting and event that is open to the public, you can get it posted on the college online calendar (and potentially to the university online calendar) by sending an email to Give me the who, what, when, where, why and how.  If you have a photo or icon, attach it to the email.

College of Health and Human Development Brochure (to view or e-share; not for print)

CSUN Video/Audio Image Release Form (pdf)

University Seal vs. University Wordmark:

Please use the official CSUN wordmark on all promotional materials and also include the name of the college. The wordmark is not to be confused with the university seal.

The university wordmark is the primary component of the California State University, Northridge graphic identity system.

The official university seal depicts the San Fernando Valley’s heritage of mission settlement, the mountain ranges that bound the valley, the sun, and a quill and paper encircled by the words “California State University, Northridge” and “1958.”

Except on business collateral, use of the seal is optional on publications, but is usually reserved for more formal communications.

Images of people: We encourage you to use images of people on your webpages and in your publications. We are a people centered college, so it's helpful to express that visually.

Getting subjects' permission: If you use images or audio of staff or faculty, you don't need to get a release form signed, but if you use images, audio, or video of students, please do get your subjects to sign the CSUN Video/Audio Image Release Form (pdf). Keep the release form on file. In the case of using images/audio of minors, get the parents or legal guardians to sign the release form. Rule of thumb: "Use an image/get a release."

Regarding the moniker "HHD": Please write out the name of the college on promotional materials and in webpages. If you are abbreviating the name of the college in a memo or note, refer to it as "HHD" rather than "CHHD" to keep consistent use throughout the college. This is also how other entities on campus refer to us.

When in doubt, consult the university graphic standards manual. Use these standards when creating items for publication to ensure the consistency and power of our communications.

Publications: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to go through HHD to get my information to University Marketing and Communications?

A: No, but we ask to be in the loop. Please cc whenever sending information to Marketing and Communications, whether an event, press release, or publication.

Q: What is the font that creates the look and feel in web one, and do I have to use it?

The official font of web one is "Museo" and, as a licenced font, it has not been widely distributed across campus for use outside of web one. When it becomes available we will share a link to the download here.

Q: Does the name of the college have to appear on all promotional materials?

A: Yes, please. Everything from event announcements (to which the public is invited) to brochures, video/radio spots and websites should show the college name somewhere.

Q: What about the university wordmark? Do I have to include it on my materials?

A: Yes, please.

Q: What if I prefer the university seal? May I susbstitute the seal for the wordmark?

A: No, sorry. The university seal is not meant to be used in place of the wordmark, though it may be used in addition to it.

Q: What about the CSUN Shine logo - is that supposed to go on everything?

A: We want to spread the word about the many ways we all make CSUN Shine, but we want to stay within university guidelines.   The CSUN Shine Graphic Standards can help you determine when and whether to use the graphic.

Q: Is there a style rule for my promotional materials?

A: Please follow your sense of decorum keeping in mind that your materials represent the college and the university. Here's a checklist:

  • proof for grammar and spelling
  • take an objective look for appropriate use of images
  • proof for accuracy of content
  • Make sure you're using appropriate terminology and using correct titles of courses, programs, options, majors, departments and college/university entities.
  • Let common sense be your guide to projecting a presence that is positive and culturally aware.
  • Look at it as if you were a stranger to the university. Did you include enough information to drive people to your event?

Q: Do I have to get approval from the dean's office before going to print?

A: If you aren't sure whether your document is ready for publication, please contact me at or call me at extension 7127, (or campus mail your item to me at mail drop 8215. Be sure to include a note about how soon you need a response).

A note about Universal Design (also known as ADA compliance for websites):
The Universal Design coordinator for faculty websites is Elio Spinello, a member of the Health Sciences faculty.

Each department's webmaster keeps department sites up to date and is responsible for keeping the sites user friendly.  Web One is structured to make this easy, so don't try to "break the template" and you should be okay. If you have questions, the CSUN Universal Design Center has tutorials, information, and the latest news to keep you in compliance.

If there is information you would like to see linked to this page, please email me. Thank you for reading and making use of these guidelines.

You can also get help from the

Jean O'Sullivan 818-677-7127 
Public Affairs/Communications Specialist
College of Health and Human Development

Updated:Spring, 2014