Health Sciences

Additional Information

What makes the CSUN MPH program unique?

The MPH Program at CSUN is a community-based professional program. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in health education or a related field. CSUN's MPH program has an eclectic student population, which brings together the experiences of health professionals from many different health areas. The MPH combines a set of required courses in accordance with CEPH (Council on Education in Public Health) guidelines, fulfilling required courses and options for electives to gain depth and focus in specific fields. The CSUN MPH Program is designed for those seeking training in Public Health Education.

How long does it take to complete the MPH program?

The program can be completed in five semesters of full-time study, the last of which would be completion of a thesis/graduate project or comprehensive exam .  Part time students may require as many as six to eight semesters to complete the program.

What can I do with an MPH?

The professional opportunities open to students completing the MPH degree are extremely varied and are significantly impacted by their prior training.  As a mid-career program, the MPH training at CSUN typically achieves the following:

  • Enhances prior training,
  • Provides new sets of skills, and
  • Enables students to enter new careers or opportunities.

Recent graduates now have responsibilities for pubic health prevention, education, and preventive medicine programs in:

  • Hospitals,
  • Public and mental health programs,
  • Health maintenance organizations,
  • Long-term care facilities,
  • Business and industry, and
  • Universities and community colleges.

Still others have taken on responsibilities for:

  • Directorships of public health programs,
  • Advisors to state elected legislators, and
  • Public health consulting.

What financial aid resources are available?

Newly accepted MPH students are invited to visit the online CSUN Financial Aid Office .  Students seeking loans may visit the CSUN Financial Aid Loans Page.  Information about Cal Grants, State University Grants, EOP Grants, and graduate fellowships can be located at the  California Student Aid Commission Web site.  Scholarships applications can be filed via the CSUN Scholarships Web site.

If I have taken public health/health education courses at another university, may I transfer the units to CSUN MPH degree program once I have been admitted?

Each individual student's academic record is individually reviewed. Graduate level courses that can be verified to be equivalent to CSUN MPH course work will be seriously considered toward fulfillment of the degree requirements. Up to nine transfer units may be included as part of the graduate course work. Students may petition to waive a course if they feel the course would repeat material they have already learned in a prior course. Such petitions are reviewed by the faculty member teaching the course, and by the MPH program director.  Students should have a copy of the description of the prior course, a copy of the syllabus, and evidence of course completion on an official transcript.  If permission to waive is granted, students then have the opportunity to replace the course with one of our many electives.