Health and Human Development News Online:
Our Feature Story Archive:
- Public Health Policy Students Visit State Legislature: 14 CSUN Public Health Policy Students joined 140 peers from across the CSU for a trip to Sacramento. The educational experience was made possible by a grant from the California Endowment.
- Stemming the Tide of Childhood Obesity: Thanks to a generous grant from UniHealth Foundation, we're teaching elementary school children and their families in the West San Fernando Valley how fitness activity and healthy eating habits truly make life sweeter.
- Brown Center Celebrates 10 Years!: A spirit of caring, dedication to our students as future professionals and a love of community have enriched the lives of people with physical challenges at the Brown Center for Adaptive Aquatic Therapy for 10 years now. Celebrate with us on November 2nd!
- Aquatic Center at Castaic Receives Grant for Boating and Water Safety Programs
$40,000 grant from the state’s Department of Boating and Waterways continues support of the center’s efforts to share the rules for boating and water safety with at-risk youth.
- Giving it Back and Paying it Forward: Scholarships for Center of Achievement Clients
Through their gifts, Bob and Sue Janovici embody the Center’s inclusive goals. They are a direct enactment of the mission of the Center of Achievement.
- Meet the 2013 Campanella/Dodgers Physical Therapy Scholarship Recipients
The Roy and Roxie Campanella Foundation and the Dodgers Dream Foundation are the benefactors of this award to students who have shown outstanding clinical potential.
- Ben B. Yaspelkis Named 2013-14 CSUN Research Fellow
Fellowship focuses on diabetes research and mentorship of students.
- Aleksandra Milosevic, CSUN EBS Scholar
Aleksandra always wanted to work with children, and more recently realized speech pathology was the way she could help the most.
- Mediscan Scholarships Support Future Speech-Language Pathologists
Mediscan is now providing $1,000 scholarships to master’s students training to be speech-language pathologists (SLPs).
- Let's Cook and Move!: Grant Supports Fitness and Nutrition Education in Schools
With childhood obesity at epidemic levels and increasing diagnoses of type 2 diabetes among children, CSUN faculty and students are reaching out to create a healthier community.
- Nancy Owens and Joyce Munsch Recognized for Volunteerism
The Volunteer Service Awards recognizes Owens and Munsch for their generosity in time, energy and resources donated to CSUN.
- Hispanic Serving Institutions Grant Supports Fitness and Nutrition in Schools
The Marilyn Magaram Center (MMC) is using a $500,000 grant to teach healthy eating behavior and physical fitness to children at three Van Nuys schools.
- Outstanding Student Awards (a.k.a. "Dean's Awards") 2012
Every spring the faculty in each academic department nominate their most outstanding graduate student, most outstanding senior and CSUN Wolfson Scholar nominee.
- Silvia Juarez Viveros: Outstanding Scholar
Nominating faculty agreed that her enthusiasm, drive and excellence made her an ideal candidate for the award.
- Kinesiology's 100 Citizens Project Video Goes to the White House
Loy and students teamed with San Fernando city officials to launch a new wellness program. The accompanying video won a national competition for recognition by the White House.
- Scholarships for Nursing Students
A grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation helps low-income students participate in the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program (A-BSN).
- EBS Healthcare Funds Scholarships, Fall 2012
The EBS Scholars Program offers select Speech-Language Pathology graduate students an academic scholarship followed full time employment, with benefits.
- Apparel Design and Merchandising Student Fashion Show, Spring 2012
Cirque de la Mode features student creations and awards for top three student designers.
- Gus LaZear, Featured Alum
A career in Recreational Therapy
- Seventh Annual Environmental Technology Symposium
Event addresses need for regulation of environmental pollutants
- Campanella/Dodgers Physical Therapy Scholarships Awarded
Five outstanding students receive scholarship awards
- Deisy Barajas and Rhea Triñanes
Jumpstart volunteer coordinators make the library fun with "Hooray Library!"
- Legislative Advocacy Training
Child and Adolescent Development students and alumni gather for workshop
- Sean Flanagan, Kinesiology
2012-13 CSUN Research Fellow
- Lockheed Martin Grant
An investment in Environmental and Occupational Health at CSUN
- Kristine Padilla
Senior, Radiologic Technology award winning display: Fetal MRI
- Ruth Harris
Next, the Communication Disorders and Sciences Voice Lab
- Ruth Rothman
A family tradition of helping others
- Assistive Technology
Grant supports GPS project to help the blind visually impaired navigate the CSUN campus
- Salina Perry
Health Sciences student and founder of SIMI at the Garden
- New Department of Nursing Established
Strength of academic program warrants department status
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Kabrina Lee Feickert
Family and Consumer Sciences award winning student fashion designer
- HUD Grant Strengthens Community Partnerships
Kinesiology and Nutrition faculty and students educate to end childhood obesity epidemic
- CSUN Night of Fashion
About the Family and Consumer Sciences fashion show, a pre-event story
- Advocacy to Address Childhood Obesity
Child and Adolescent Development Alumni Chapter brings educators together to help
- Environmental and Occupational Health Symposium
Event addresses residue from pharmaceutical and personal care products in water systems
- Aging in the 21st Century
about the evolving and growing field of Gerontology
- Title V Grant
Cross disciplinary collaboration supports student success toward graduation
- Strengthening the Core of Life
Institute for Community Health and Wellbeing helps community find needed services
- Cynthia Urena
2011 Presidential Scholar documents the history of CSUN Nursing
- William Whiting, Kinesiology
2010-11 CSUN Research Fellow
- Susan Tartakoff
Center of Achievement Client Profile: "Wherever you are, that's your starting point"
- Nadine Zuckerman
Alumni and Graduate Student: From Kinesiology to Physical Therapy, health and well being is personal and global.
- Mariana Selvig and Marisa Jivan
Family and Consumer Sciences Interior Design students recognized by the American Institutes of Architects
- Ruth Lindeck Forman
Bridging Cultures through communication
- Roy Campanella, Dodgers, and CSUN
CSUN Physical Therapy teams up with the Roy and Roxy Campanella Foundation and the LA Dodgers
- Diane Davis Endowment
Endowment established in Communication Disorders and Sciences
- CSUN Physical Therapy goes Doctoral
State approves CSUN Doctorate in Physical Therapy
- Anita Slechta Represents CSUN Nationally
Health Sciences faculty Anita Slechta Elected to American Society of Radiologic Technologists
- Master's Degree in Assistive Technology Studies and Human Services
Degree established in collaboration with Tseng College
- Victoria Jacque, Kinesiology
2009-10 Research Fellow on the integrative nature of health and wellbeing
- Dean Ed Peckham Award Recipient, Carol Kelly
a legacy of teaching and mentorship
Faculty Staff Community News Special Editions: