The Master of Science in FCS
For admission as a classified graduate student, the following requirements must be satisfied:
- Hold a baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree from an officially accredited university or college in Family and Consumer Sciences, the option to which the student is applying, or a related field.
- Have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or greater for courses taken in the bachelor’s degree. Applicants with less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA who can demonstrate evidence of academic acumen, may submit their application for consideration.
- For applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0, completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and a score in the 50th percentile or higher on one or more sections.
- Formal approval by the department, based on the complete application and supporting documents.
- Apply to the university. For applicants submitting their application material on or before May 31, 2017, please follow the instructions below to apply to the university (please note you must also apply to the department, see item #6 below)
a. Complete the university application online by visiting CSU Mentor. For more information regarding university admission, please visit the Graduate Studies website for admission guidelines, which can be accessed here.
b. Send your official transcripts to CSUN. More information on how to send your official transcripts to CSUN can be found here.
For applicants submitting their application material between June 1 and August 1, 2017, please follow the instructions below (please note you must also apply to the department, see item #6 below)
a. Complete the paper university application. You can obtain a copy of the paper application here. For more information regarding university admission, please visit the Graduate Studies website for admission guidelines, which can be accessed here.
b. Obtain copies of your official transcripts. Official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope to be considered valid.
c. Once the university application is completely filled out and you have obtained all of your official transcripts, you will submit this package to the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (Sequoia Hall 141).
6. Submit following documents to the FCS department:
- Personal statement of interest
- Copy of Transcripts from undergraduate program
- Copy of Report of GRE scores if applicable
Please send the required documents to:
M.S. Program in FCS
Attn: Dr. Elizabeth Sussman
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8308
If you have questions, please contact the graduate coordinator, Dr. Elizabeth Sussman (Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org, or 818-677-3051).