The Environmental and Occupational Health Program offers a Master of Science degree in Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences. An Industrial Hygiene Option is available, allowing this designation to appear on transcript and diploma.
The MS program is built on a foundation of course work provided by the BS - Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences offered by the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health. Thus, MS candidates will have to have completed the same courses required of BS - EOH students before becoming fully classified graduate students.
The Master of Science degree in Environmental and Occupational Health has a 21-unit core of 500 level or higher courses within the required 30-unit minimum. Classified graduate students must have the full complement of courses required of undergraduates. The culminating requirement is completion of a thesis or a comprehensive examination.
Core Graduate Courses
- EOH 553 EOH Administration of EOH Programs (Offered fall semester)
- EOH 554 Seminar EOH Problems (Offered fall semester)
- EOH 555 EOH Programs, Standards, and Controls (Offered spring semester)
- EOH 693A Supervised Field Training
- EOH 696A Research Design (4 semester units) (Offered fall semester)
- EOH 696B Seminar: Research Methods (Offered spring semester. Prerequisites: EOH 696A and classified graduate status.)
Four elective courses must be taken, with at least one from the listed 500 level courses below. The remainder may come from 400 level electives within the EOH program offerings. In order to receive graduate credit for these classes, students must complete a graduate course assignment for each class, in addition to the normal requirements of each class.
- EOH 556 Advanced Toxicology
- EOH 560 EOH Epidemiology
- EOH 565 Seminar in Industrial Safety
- EOH 569 Advanced Risk Analysis
- EOH 570 Occupational Ergonomics
Field experience (Supervised Field Training, EOH 693B) is required of all students.
The remainder of the course units must be taken from the EOH Program elective course list.
The capstone experience is a comprehensive examination or a master's thesis.