Child and Adolescent Development

  • Students - CADV

Advisement Resources

How Does Advising Work in the Department?

CADV has adopted an empowerment based approach to advising; our goal is to teach you the campus tools to answer any advising-related question independently and confidently. 

CADV does NOT place holds on student registration accounts. We also do NOT require CADV students to meet face-to-face with an advisor before registering for classes.

Our department offers various modes of advising opportunties each semester. Some of these include:

  1. We offer weekly or bi-weekly workshops/receptions on various advising topics (e.g., how to apply for graduation, career exploration, how to pick classes) in a computer lab. This is the best way to get your individual advising needs met in a slow paced relaxed environment. Students typically use this time to learn how to use the MAP (my academic plan) to plan future courses, receive validation that they are "on track," and answer general or specific questions. 
  2. Watch the advising videos (see next tab). CADV Peer Mentors created short 1-5 minute videos explaining critical advising topics you need to know. Start with the MAP video becauase you cannot see a faculty advisor until you have learned how to plan classes using this fun interactive "videogame-like" tool. 
  3. Scheduled one-on-one appointments with Faculty Advisors to receive help solving problems; we do not meet to do course planning (attend the workshop or meet with a peer advisor to learn how to use the MAP so you can independently determine if you are taking the right courses).
  4. Walk-in advising hours with trained Peer Advisors and/or Faculty Advisors (for those who know how to use the MAP).
  5. Email or set up an appointment with a trained Peer Advisor at a time that works with your busy schedule. If you cannot attend the scheduled weekly advising times, the peer advisors are eager to meet with you one-on-one at a time that works for you.

Advising Videos for Students

Check out these short advising videos created by our own CADV Peer Mentors. 

  1. How do I use my MAP to plan classes? (you need this before you can talk with an advisor!)
  2. What is the UPPER DIVISION WRITING EXAM (when to take it, pass it, & sign up)?
  3. How do I fill out a COURSE SUBSTITUTION form?
  4. Are you thinking about CHANGING YOUR MAJOR TO CADV but first want to see if you've taken any classes that count?
  5. Getting involved on campus can result with an EARLY REGISTRATION DATE!
  6. Want to study abroad as a CADV major? 
  7. I need a little extra help figuring out how to make a CADV advising appointment with the AdvisorTrac System.

Fall 2014 Advising Workshops & Hours (starting September)

We will hold weekly workshops, walk-in hours, and appointments for advising related questions throughout the Fall 2014 semester. Before you arrive, make sure you have planned classes in your MAP; if you do not know how to use your MAP, watch the video (see above tab) which teaches you the process. If you wish to speak with a faculty advisor, first you will meet with a Peer Advisor who will help you pull up your MAP prior for your appointment. 

The schedule for Fall 2014 has NOT been created yet, but starting in mid-September 2014, use the Advisortrac system to book your advising appointments (use your CSUN login/password): 

Watch this video if you are having difficulty with AdvisorTrac.

Which Community College Child Development courses count in the CADV major?

The Early Childhood Development CADV BA Option was created to accommodate community college transfer students who previously completed CAP 8 certified early childhood units. Students in this option can use a total of 8 classes (24 units) to count towards the ECD BA requirements.

Explore the Early Childhood Development BA Option overview to identify where community college ECE coursework is accepted in the CADV major  (highlighted in green). 

Note- we do NOT accept any child development units; only CAP 8 certified courses can be used for BA requirements (often these are the same requirements for the Child Development Permit). 

Follow these steps:

  1. Find out
    which community college courses can count. Open the Community College Course Petition Form; page 3 includes a chart of accepted coursework from our local Los Angeles community colleges.
  2. Make sure your updated transcripts have been sent to CSUN.
  3. Submit the Community College Substitution Petition Form to the CADV Department office (Sequoia Hall 285) WITH your updated MAP .
  4. Wait to be notified with the results of your request.

How Do I Decide Which BA Option is Right for Me (i.e., Applied Dev Science or Early Childhood Dev)?

When you choose to be a Child & Adolescent Delopment major, you will pick from our two Options: Applied Developmental Science (ADS) and Early Childhood Development (ECD).

The ADS Option offers a more developmentally broad (birth-emerging adulthood) and scientific approach to understanding how youth change over time; this option gives students more course options in the Electives section which can double-count for Upper Division GE units and double-majoring. 

The Early Childhood Development Option focuses on younger children and allows community college students who have completed CAP 8 certified coursework to count units towards the BA degree.

Both options require students to take the CORE CADV requirements. Read more on how to decide which BA Option is right for you.

How do I Change My Major to CADV?

Click here for more information on how to change your major to CADV.

Who are the CADV Peer Advisors?

CADV Peer Advisors are Peer Mentors who have a passion to work with fellow CADV majors on how to navigate campus resources (e.g., MAP, Career Center) to effectively reach graduation. Peer Mentors receive training on how to effectively listen and empower students to take charge of their learning experience.

Many Peer Mentors are transfer students with a particular interest in helping others effectively navigate and transition to this campus.

Things to know about Peer Advisors:

  • They have been trained to teach others the campus tools to help you answer critical advising questions (e.g., MAP, catalog)
  • If you schedule an appointment with a faculty advisor, you will first consult with a Peer Advisor to get your MAP pulled up on an iPad (or quickly teach you how to use your MAP).
  • Peer Advisors cannot sign official documents. If for some reason you do not want to meet with a Peer Advisor, you are not required to do so.           


What Internship Opportunities Careers Options are Available for Me?

The undergraduate degree in Child and Adolescent Development appeals to a wide range of students! Many of our majors are interested in pursuing careers such as a:

  • health practitioner (i.e., pediatrician, nurse, occupational therapist, child life specialist) 
  • mental health clinican (e.g., psychologist, clincial social worker, counselor, marriage & family therapist)
  • educator (e.g., preschool teacher, K-12 credential teacher, college couselor, or college professor). 

To help you further decide on a particular career pathway, we are one of the few undergraduate programs in the CSU system offering a competitive internship program. This year long experience provides students the opportunity to pick from nearly 20 local community partners (e.g, schools, hospitals, non-profit organizations) to develop hands-on expereince and professional networks.

Our department advising program will host workshops/receptions and invite graduate students and alumni working in the field so you can learn about different career options. Meet some of our CADV alumni are currently attending graduate school.

Whether you are a transfer student or starting as a freshman, this CADV Department and faculty welcomes you to this wonderful University.

How do I Complete the Requirements for the CTC Child Development Permit?

Having the Child Development Permit can be a great addition to your resume while building professional experience. The Child Development Training Consortium offers more information and resources regarding the steps to obtaining a permit. Typically this permits consists of 2 years of general education coursework and 8 core classes of Early Childhood Development (typically offerred at community colleges).