Forms and Policies
Sponsoring a Visiting or Research Scholar
If you are a CSUN faculty or staff member planning to sponsor a J-1 Exchange Visitor, please complete the International Visiting Scholar Request form and forward it to The Office of Graduate Studies, Research & International Programs (GRIP) no later than two months prior to the beginning date of the J-1 program. A request for a Visiting or Research Scholar status must be approved by both the department chair and college dean. After receiving the completed Visiting Scholar Request Form, the GRIP Office will issue an invitation letter and DS 2019 form and send it to the Exchange Visitor by mail.
Criteria for J-1 Status Visiting or Research Scholar Appointments
- Complete an International Visiting Scholar Request Form
- Obtain signatures of chair and dean of respective department
- Complete mailing address with telephone number (in country of origin)
- Provide details of scholar's on campus involvement
- Proof of Health Insurance (required)
- Provide copy of health insurance if obtained in foreign country (within seven days of US residency)
- Provide copy of health insurance if obtained in U.S. (within seven days of US residency) **
- Notarized Financial Affidavit (from supporting institution/personal funds detailing financial support of at least $1,500 per month / $18,000 for one year).
** International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan
Note: Once the Visiting Scholar has arrived the scholar is required to check-in with the GRIP Office in order to validate the program in the SEVIS system.
Requests to have Family Member(s) Joining Visiting Scholar
Information required to file request:
- Provide name, relationship to scholar (e.g. wife, son), birthplace (city province, country) and birth date of each family member.
- Bank statement showing available funds beyond those approved for the scholar (statement must reflect the month in which the scholar begins preparing necessary paperwork for visiting family members).
- Visiting Scholar must show ability to support visiting family member (approximately $750 per month/per family member is required).
- Visiting Scholars are responsible for the mailing DS 2019 (J-2 status) packet for family members.
- Visiting Scholar must provide health insurance for visiting family members.
Extension of stay
Submit request for extension (letter from sponsor) at least two months prior to expiration of current visa. This request must be accompanied by a notarized financial affidavit.