Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that issues awards according to financial aid campus policy. Funds are limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority is given to students who demonstrate the highest need.
You must indicate on the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) that you are interested in work-study. Typically, work-study jobs are only open to students who apply for financial aid by the March 2 priority deadline for the upcoming academic year. However; due to limited funds an earlier date may be used to determine eligibility.
Benefits of a work-study job include:
•Convenience of an on-campus job
•Possibility of work in a major-related department
•Community service opportunities
FWS is an academic year award, meaning you must be enrolled at least half time during any semester of employment. You may only earn 50 percent of your award in the fall semester and 50 percent in the spring.
Federal Work-Study Student Quiz
Steps for Securing a FWS Job
If you have already been awarded FWS, here are the steps for securing a FWS job and receiving a monthly FWS paycheck:
- Read the Federal Work-Study Student Handbook. The handbook includes important information, including your rights and responsibilities as an FWS student employee.
- Once you read the student handbook, take the Federal Work-Study Student Handbook quiz. When you successfully pass the quiz, a certificate will pop up. Type in your name and student ID, then print it and give it to the hiring supervisor.
- When you go to job interviews, bring proof of your FWS eligibility, copy of your financial aid award online on the myNorthridge Portal or form from the FWS Office.
- If you are offered the job give the employer the Student FWS Award Request Form to complete.
- Submit the completed Student FWS Award Request Form to the FWS Award Request Form to the FWS Office for processing.
- The employer will complete and give you the H.R. Student Employee Hire Form to take to the Human Recourses Office to complete the payroll hiring process. *Please note that you must present your original Social Security card and picture ID for you to be able to complete the hiring process and start your work assignment.
- Once your FWS award has been processed your employer will be notified.
- Within 24 hours of submitting your FWS student award request form, the award will appear as "Offer" in your myNorthridge Portal. When your employer requests FWS authorization and it is approved, the award will appear as "Accept."
- Once the employer has completed your FWS hiring process your will be notified when you can start your work assignment.
- You must read the Drug-Free Campus and Workplace Policy.
Note: If FWS is not a part of your financial aid package but you would like to be considered for an award, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name and CSUN student ID in the body of your email request.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call (818) 677-2373.
Forms and Links
Campus Time Sheet
Once you're employed as a student assistant, track your hours on this time sheet.
Student Award Balance Tracking Sheet
Make sure you don't exceed your work-study award by keeping track of your monthly earnings.