How-To Guides

Review the step-by-step instructions on how to obtain tax transcripts and submit proof of Selective Service registration, citizenship status, and eligible noncitizen status.

How to Obtain Tax Return Transcripts

To request tax return transcripts online:

  • Go to
  • Click on “Get Transcript by MAIL”
  • Click “ok” on pop-up message box
  • Provide the Social Security Number and date of birth of the tax filer
  • Provide the address and zip code currently on file with the IRS
  • Click “Continue”
  • Select “Tax Return Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select “2015”.
  • If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their online request within 5 to 10 days.

To request tax return transcripts by phone:

  • Call 1-800-908-9946to use the automated system, or call 1-800-829-1040 to speak to an IRS Representative.
  • You will need the tax filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, and the address on file with the IRS.

To obtain tax transcripts for victims of Identity Theft:

  • Call the IRS at 1(800)908-4490
  • Follow the prompts and you will be transferred to an IRS agent who will verify your identity.
  • The IRS will mail a printout of you IRS income tax return information that you provided to them.

You must also submit a statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that they were victims of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of the tax-related identity theft. Attach a cover sheet with the student’s name and CSUN ID number to a copy of  the tax return transcript and statement then submit it to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Department either in person in Bayramian Hall or by mail. DO NOT write or make any markings on the tax return transcript. DO NOT submit the original tax return transcript(s) as they will not be returned. The Financial Aid office will not make copies.

How to Submit Proof of Selective Service Registration

Proof of Registration

If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25, you are required to register with the Selective Service System. Your status with the Selective Service is checked prior to determining financial aid eligibility. If registration with the Selective Service cannot be confirmed, you must submit proof of registration or, if exempt from the Selective Service, documented proof of exemption.

Acceptable proof of Selective Service registration includes:

  • A printout from the Selective Service website confirming registration
  • Selective Service registration card
  • DD Form 214

To register online or confirm your registration, visit the Selective Service System.

Undocumented Males

If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25, you are required to register with the Selective Service System (SSS) before receiving state financial aid.  The Selective Service does not share your immigration status.  If you are not registered, you may do so by checking the "Register me" box, question 23a, in the online 2015-16 California Dream Act Application and the California Student Aid Commission will send your registration information to the U.S. Selective Service through a secure electronic data exchange.

The registration process may also be completed by using a Selective Service registration form available at any U.S. post office or by printing the Selective Service Form.  Once you complete the form (follow the instructions on the second page or on the back), sign it (leave the space for your Social Security number blank) and mail it to the Selective Service System address that is on the form. 

Whichever way you register, you will receive a registration acknowledgment card within approximately 30 to 90 days.  Keep the document in a safe place as proof of registration and submit a copy to the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department.  Please note that the Selective Service does not collect any information that would indicate whether or not you are undocumented.

If you are not registered with Selective Service and are now 26 years old or older, submit a status information letter and explain your failure to register. The Financial Aid & Scholarship Department will review your statement.

Special Categories

If you are a male student and fall within one of the following categories, you must submit proof of your status to the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department. A status information letter from the Selective Service is not required.

Descriptions of special categories for proof of status
CategoryProof of Status
Non-U.S. male who came to the U.S. for the first time after his 26th birthdayAcceptable proof includes a date of entry stamp on your passport, Form I-94 with date of entry stamp on it, or a letter from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the date you entered the U.S. If you entered the U.S. illegally after your 26th birthday, you must provide proof that you were not living in the U.S. from ages 18 through 25. A Resident Alien Card, or Green Card, is not valid proof of the date of entry to the U.S.
Non-U.S. male on a valid nonimmigrant visaIf you entered the U.S. on an F-1 student visa and remained under the same status until your 26th birthday, you must provide documentation indicating that you were admitted on an F-1 visa and attended school full-time as required. Acceptable documentation includes a copy of Form I-20 or a letter from the school you attended indicating full-time attendance as a nonimmigrant alien. The same applies for all nonimmigrant statuses.
Male born prior to 1960Acceptable proof includes an official government-issued document showing date of birth, such as a state ID card, driver's license, passport or birth certificate.
VeteranAcceptable proof includes the DD Form 214 indicating current full-time active duty or a military ID card.

How to Submit Proof of Eligible Noncitizen Status

Based on the information provided on your application, you must provide proof of your eligible noncitizen status.

Acceptable documentation of eligible noncitizen status may include Form I-151, Form I-551, or Form I-94.  You must submit your unexpired, original non-citizenship document(s) in person.  If there is an expiration date on your document, the date must be after the start of the fall semester in the academic year for which the document is requested.

If you cannot submit this in person, you must provide two copies of your non-citizenship document, front and back along with the notarized “Government ID Affidavit” form.  To access the form, go to:

As required by federal law, this office will send the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) a copy of the documentation to verify eligible noncitizen status.

If there is not a photo on your document, or if the picture on your document was taken when you were 14 years old or younger, you must also present valid government photo identification.

If you have applied under a federal amnesty program, you must present your original Form I-688 to verify that your legal residency has been approved by the INS.

If you are now a U.S. citizen, please read the how-to guide for submitting proof of U.S. citizenship status by selecting the "Citizenship" tab.

If you have questions about immigration documentation, contact the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department immediately.  Delays in submitting this information will slow your financial aid application process.

How to Submit Proof of U.S. Citizenship

You must take your citizenship document and an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) to a local Social Security Office to have your status updated.  Visit the local office search page to locate a Social Security office near CSUN or your home.

The following are acceptable forms of original documents to verify U.S. citizenship status:
• a birth certificate
• a valid U.S. passport book: current or expired
• a valid U.S. passport card: current or expired
• a Certificate of Naturalization from the Immigration and Naturalization Service
• a Certificate of Citizenship from the Immigration and Naturalization Service
• a Report of a Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. bearing an embossed seal with the words "United States of America" and "State Department" (Form FS-240, FS-545 or DS-1350 all acceptable)

If you do not have access to any of these documents and you are a U.S. citizen, contact the appropriate government agency and make arrangements to have a copy of the document sent to you.  The following contact numbers may help:

Country Registrar's Office: 1 (800) 201-8999

Immigration and Naturalization Service: 1 (800) 375-5283

U.S. State Department: (310) 575-5700

Once you've completed the update process with the Social Security Administration, you must submit the “Confirmation of Update to Citizenship Status” form along with your original citizenship document to the Financial Aid window.  To access the form, go to:

If you cannot submit this in person, complete and mail the “Confirmation of Update to Citizenship Status” form.  To access the form, go to: