AB 540 Students

The California Dream Act of 2011 became law through the passage of Assembly Bills 130 and 131. AB 130 and AB 131 allow AB 540 students to apply for state and institutional grants, and privately funded scholarships.

Access scholarship information and read through some of the frequently asked questions below.

California Dream Act

What are the AB 540 requirements?

  • The student must have attended a public or private high school in California for three or more years
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (e.g., passed the GED test or California High School Proficiency Exam) prior to the start of the term
  • If the student is without lawful immigration status, he or she must file a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible. The California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request must be submitted to Admissions and Records.
  • Nonimmigrant students are not eligible. Nonimmigrant students, as defined by federal immigration law, may hold one of the following visas: A, B, C ,D, E, F, G, H, U, J, K ,L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S,TN,TD, V, TROV and NATO.

What assistance is available to AB 540 students?

As of Jan. 1, 2012, AB 130 allows students who qualify to apply for scholarships that do not have a residency or citizenship requirement. For more information on scholarships available, visit the On-Campus Scholarships section under Scholarships.

As of Jan. 1, 2013, AB 131 will allow qualifying students to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid, such as the Cal Grant, Chafee Grant and institutional grants. Fore more information on grant funding, visit the State Grants and California State University Grants sections.

How do I apply?

To apply for grant funding, you will need to complete the California Dream Act Application each year between Jan. 1 and March 2. For additional information, go to Apply under Financial Aid Basics.