We established our Mobile Child Development Screenings program in order to reach families in the communities where they live, work and play!
- Only 30% of children with developmental delays are identified before Kinder
- Racial disparities exist in early identifying children
- Issues of access (lack of primary care doctors and transportation), isolation & trust
The objective is to identify children who may need further evaluation by Regional Center, SELPA, LEA or community providers.
We use the following developmental screening tools:
- Parents Evaluation of Developmental Status (PEDS™) – for children up to age 8; interview style questionnaire
- Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers – Revised (M-CHAT-R™) – identifies specific red flags for autism; administered at 18 and 24 months
In order to reach families In December 2012, we received a grant from the CVS Caremark Charitable Trust to purchase our van and get it ready for the road!
Partnering with faculty and students from CSUN, North Los Angeles County Regional Center and the Child Care Resource Center, we offer developmental screenings at community-based events such as health and safety fairs, family fun days and community events. We focus on underserved communities in Los Angeles County.
We launched our van in April 2014 at a ribbon cutting event at CSUN.