J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
The Exchange Visitor Program, administered by the U.S. Department of State, allows the University to use the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa status to invite or employ foreign professors, research scholars, and short-term scholars in the United States temporarily. CSUN Faculty Hosts requesting visa sponsorship for a visitor are required to comply with University guidelines and serve as hosts through the duration of the visitor’s stay.
- Screening and selecting qualified foreign nationals to carry out exchange initiatives;
- Monitoring the visitor throughout the stay and reporting any issues or changes to Faculty Affairs;
- Ensure that the foreign national is successfully carrying out the responsibilities for which entry to the United States was granted;
- Documenting and reporting all of the cultural exchange experiences activities to which the visitor participated;
- Verifying that the visitor is proficient in the English language and requesting the required TOEFL score;
- Ensuring that the visitor has the appropriate insurance per the government regulations; and
- Ensure that exchange visitor has sufficient finances to participate in the program and to support his/her spouse and dependents, if any.
To initiate a request for J-1 visa sponsorship, please see the categories below and select the appropriate request form. If you have any questions on this process, please contact Carmen Lichtscheidl at 818-677-2962, or via email at email@example.com.