Spring 2013 Scholarships and Awards for Student Achievement
The English Department is pleased to announce that up to $12,350 in scholarships and awards will be given to CSUN students this spring. Application forms are available in the English Department Office, Sierra
The application deadline for all awards is Monday, April 29, 2013: 4:00 p.m.
For Undergraduate Students:
- Henry Van Slooten Scholarship: $500. Requirements: Essay from 258, 259, 275 or 355 demonstrating passion for English language. Nomination by faculty required.
- Lesley Johnstone Memorial Award: $500. Requirements: Creative work (poetry, fiction, drama) or essay on an aspect of the natural world written for a class or conference or publication.
Students may self-nominate. Faculty nomination also allowed.
- Linda Nichols Joseph Merit Scholarship: $2000 (up to two available). Requirements: English major; min. 3.5 overall GPA; cover letter; resume; three letters of recommendation; financial aid
- Philip E. Love Scholarship: $500. Requirements: English 205 assignment; min.3.0 GPA; enrolled in at least six units in spring 2013; application; one-page personal essay; one faculty
- William L. Wilson Award: $1600. Requirements: junior or senior English major (any option) who plans to be a teacher; 3.0 GPA in English courses; potential to become a strong teacher;
application; 350-word personal essay; one letter of recommendation. Nomination by faculty required.
For Graduate or Undergraduate Students:
- Annamarie Peterson Morley Award: $1,000. Requirements: English major; minimum 3.5 GPA; application; 1-3 page personal essay; two letters of recommendation; financial aid release.
- George Morley/Annamarie Peterson Scholarship: $1000. Requirements: English major; min. 3.0 GPA; application; 3-5 page personal essay; two letters of recommendation; must enroll in 12 units
during semester following award; financial aid release.
For Graduate Students:
- Mahlon Gaumer Award: $500. Requirements: Critical essay on English or American literature with emphasis on language; application form.
- Mitchell Marcus Prize: $3,000. Requirements: classified Grad Student; min. 3.75 GPA; application; writing sample; resume; personal statement; two letters of recommendation.
For more information about these awards and scholarships, see the English Department Awards page.