What is Sigma Tau Delta?
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, it was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University. The Society strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
There are over 450 chapters located in Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, and the United States. Some 125,000 members have been initiated over the years; among them have been such persons as Eudora Welty, James Dickey, Laurence Perrine, Howard Nemerov, Robert Bly, Frank Herbert, Walter J. Ong, S.J., and Stephen Spender. An international convention is held annually.
You can find out more information about Sigma Tau Delta on their website at http://www.english.org.
Who is eligible to join?
There are two categories of membership: active and associate. Full-time faculty members who sponsor a chapter are also eligible. (Specific details are listed in the Society's constitution.) Associate membership is available to currently enrolled students, undergraduate or graduate, who have the requisite academic background but who are not majoring or minoring in English. In addition, non-sponsoring faculty members with a degree in English may be associate members.
To enjoy an active membership in Sigma Tau Delta, students must:
- Be currently enrolled students of CSUN, graduate or undergraduate, with a 3.0 overall GPA and a 3.2 GPA in English.
- Have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of college course work.
- Have completed a minimum of two college courses in English beyond freshman requirements.
- Volunteer 12 hours to Sigma Tau Delta.
- Pay a one-time lifetime membership fee of $65.00 at the time of application.
What are the advantages of membership in Sigma Tau Delta?
Because it is an honor society, membership in Sigma Tau Delta is an outward recognition of personal accomplishment. It also provides excellent networking possibilities not only with other like-minded students of English at CSUN, but with scholars in other institutions worldwide. Members receive subscriptions to the society's publications, including two literary journals published by the organization, and are able to submit their work to these journals for publication. Sigma Tau Delta members are also eligible to compete for a number of scholarships and prizes for excellent writing. Furthermore, members are eligible to submit their work to the annual Sigma Tau Delta convention.
The Iota Chi chapter at CSUN also hosts an annual academic conference, which gives members not only an opportunity to present their work, but also a chance to gain valuable experience in planning such an event. Finally, our members have the chance to develop relationships with other scholars of English, and to make a difference in the community through our community service projects.
This is just a short list of all the great benefits of membership in Sigma Tau Delta. Please check out http://english.org/sigmatd/members/benefits.shtml for more details.
How much does it cost?
The Iota Chi Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta at California State University, Northridge, currently has a one-time membership fee of $65.00. Download the Application Form.
Sigma Tau Delta Iota Chi Chapter has a number of exciting events planned for the 2012-2013 academic year. We have monthly meetings that all active and associate members are welcome to attend. We host an annual academic conference at CSUN, which we are very excited about! We are also working on several fundraisers and some community service projects. Please check our blog at http://sigmataudeltacsun.wordpress.com/ or contact us via email for specifics.
President: Trista Payte
Vice President: Hannah Jorgenson
Secretary: Nina Moon Ahn
Treasurer: Holly Batty
Historian: Rosie Gabrielyan
Secretary of Membership: Dylan Altman
Public Relations Officer: Melissa Filbeck
Chapter Liaison: Stephanie Recine
For further information about the Iota Chi Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta at California State University, Northridge, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iota Chi Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta
c/o Dr. Charles Hatfield
Department of English
California State University, Northridge
Northridge, California 91330-8248