Touch Tone Registration (TTR) & Online Registration
Registering for Your Classes at CSUN
Schedule of Classes
Registration and Scheduling Procedures
Because so much of academic advising revolves around developing a plan of courses, advisers need to understand CSUN's registration and scheduling process and how advisers, departments, the advising and registrar's offices, and the scheduling officer work together to help students register for their courses. The following is an overview of the registration process, followed by some specific comments regarding advisers and the registration function.
The scheduling and registration process is a joint effort involving departments, through department chairs, and the administration, through the scheduler and the advising and registrar's office. The process begins with the development of the catalog. CSUN's catalog contains only the course descriptions, but not the listing of course offerings by semester for the next academic year, that is published in the Schedule of Classes prior to each semester.
The campus web portal (SOLAR) provides access for CSUN students to restricted web pages and commonly accessed campus sites. Among the sites available via the portal are student financial records, financial aid information, class registration, and access to DARS.
Linked below are instructions for getting an account, setting up your computer, and using the various components of the university's web portal
Web based SOLAR (Student On-Line Administrative Resources) registration systems for the University. As you are aware, students are able to register for classes on the web portal. Approximately two to four weeks prior to the registration period, all students eligible to participate in registration will have been mailed a Registration Packet. The student will be eligible to register for classes first and pay for fees later. Failure to pay by the deadline will result in dis-enrollment.
Students will not be allowed to register prior to the time indicated on their Registration Packet. The registration date and time are not negotiable. However, after the student's appointment time has arrived, he/she can access the SOLAR Registration system as often as he/she like.
How to prepare for registration?
- Create a Worksheet . Once the student identified his/her preferred courses, list them in order of meeting days and times on the worksheet. For example, list an 8:00 a.m. class before a 9:00 a.m. class.
- Stress to the student the importance for him/her to carefully read and fully understand registration instructions . Be certain that all instructions are clear to the student prior to the time he/she is scheduled to register. Questions regarding this process can be answered at the office of Admissions and Records or by calling the Registration Helpline at (818) 677-3700 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Make sure the student knows that during his/her Appointed Registration Time, he/she can access the web at www.csun.edu/portal. For best results, access shortly after his/her assigned registration time. This time is found in your registration packet.
Expanded Registration Period
Students not on probation may enroll in up to 19 units; however, this is not recommended for all students. Talk to your adviser. Students may use either of the registration systems to add or drop classes or review their schedule.
Students will not be allowed access to the Registration System prior to the time indicated on their Registration Packet. The access date and time are not negotiable.
Students may access the Registration System as often as they like after their appointment time begins. Students may drop classes, search for an open section of a class, add a class that was previously filled or that has recently been made available by the department, or review their current schedule. At the end of the registration period and prior to the first day of classes, CSUN will mail a printed confirmation of their final enrollment.
How does a student prepare for registration?
- Organize your Enrollment Schedule . Before your registration appointment time, seek academic advisement from your major department or the Advising Resource Center to determine what course requirements you need to fulfill. Study the schedule of classes to determine how these courses can fit your daily schedule.
- Create a Worksheet . Once you have identified your preferred courses, list them in order of meeting days and times on the worksheet. For example, list an 8:00 a.m. class before a 9:00 a.m. class. Next, you should consider listing a 2nd choice course below each preference corresponding to the same time period.
- Carefully Read and Fully Understand Registration Instructions . Be certain that all instructions are clear to you prior to the time you are scheduled to register. Questions regarding this process can be answered at the office of Admissions and Records or by calling the Registration Helpline at (818) 677-3700 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- During your Appointed Registration Time, you can access the web at my.csun.edu or by calling 818.677.3000 using a touch-tone registration phone system. For best results, access/ call at or shortly after your assigned registration time. This time is found in your registration packet. If you have lost this packet, you may access this information through the Web Service Portal using your PIN and Student ID number.
- Once you have registered. Students may access the Registration System as often as they like during the 24-hour window or, after their appointment time, during non-prime time hours. Students may drop classes, search for an open section of a class, add a class that was previously filled or that has recently been made available by the department, or review their current schedule.