Senior Design and Graduation Evaluations (Grad Checks) for Graduating Seniors
Any undergraduate CS or CIT major who is planning to graduate in Spring 2017, Summer 2017, or Fall 2017 should make sure they have completed the following:
- Submit an application for graduation (grad check)
- Register for first semester of senior design in Fall 2016. CS majors take COMP 490/L, CIT majors take CIT 480/L.
Seats in senior design are filling up fast, although we will open additional sections if needed between now and the start of the semester. Priority for getting a seat will be given to students who meet with an advisor for their grad check and submit a course plan approved by their advisor to the Computer Science Department office by July 15, 2016. If you miss this deadline, then you can't be guaranteed a seat in Fall 2016. Not registering for senior design in Fall 2016 will delay your graduation until at least Spring 2018.
Wait Lists and Surveys for Closed Sections
Fall 2016 registration has started. Over the next few weeks, sections of some courses will fill and will be closed. Be assured that the CS Department will carefully track how many students are waiting for seats so that new sections can be opened as appropriate. The Department uses a combination of SOLAR wait lists and a custom survey to track demand, depending on the course registration pattern. For lecture-only courses like COMP 282, SOLAR provides wait lists. For lecture-lab combo courses like COMP 110/110L, SOLAR does not provide wait lists, so the Department provides a link to a custom online survey as a substitute.
- If you are trying to enroll in a lecture-only course and it is full, please follow the instructions on SOLAR and join the wait list. Wait lists will activate starting July 11.
- If you are trying to enroll in a lecture-lab combo course and it is full, fill out this survey to let the Department know you need a seat. Link to survey is here. For some students, if your class is full but you know that your prereqs are not being checked correctly by SOLAR, you may still need to fill out a permission number request with the department office, contact the office for details.
Note that wait lists and the survey together provide feedback on the need to open a new section, but decisions are not based on student demand alone. University budget constraints and availability of an instructor to teach the section also influence whether a new section can be opened or not.
Announcements for Specific Courses/Sections
- COMP 490/L Senior Design (lecture and lab) is fall only, followed in the spring by COMP 491L (lab only). Starting with the 2016-2017 academic year, we are offering three tracks/sections of this course sequence. Any CS bachelor's student expecting to graduate in Spring 2017, Summer 2017, or Fall 2017 who has not already taken the COMP 490/L-491L sequence should register for COMP 490/L for Fall 2016. You may be asked to complete a graduation evaluation to demonstrate you are ready to graduate. Contact the Department office if you have problems/questions.
- CIT 480/L System Design (lecture and lab) is fall only, followed in the spring by CIT 481/L (lecture and lab). Starting with the 2016-2017 academic year, we are offering three tracks/sections of this course sequence. Any CIT bachelor's student expecting to graduate in Spring 2017, Summer 2017, or Fall 2017 who has not already started the CIT 480-481 sequence should plan to register for CIT 480/L for Fall 2016. You may be asked to complete a graduation evaluation to demonstrate you are ready to graduate. Contact the Department office if you have problems/questions.
- COMP 496ALG Algorithm Design is an experimental course being offered for the 4th time in Fall 2016. Any Computer Science major who needs to take MATH 482 can take COMP 496ALG (subject to enrollment caps) and get course substitution credit for MATH 482.
- CS and CIT undergraduate majors cannot use COMP 496ALG to satisfy elective requirements.
- CS majors cannot take both MATH 482 and COMP 496ALG for credit toward the major.
- Graduate students cannot take COMP 496ALG for credit toward the MS in Computer Science or MS in Software Engineering, but can use it to count for MATH 482.
- CIT 496SEC/L Security is an experimental course in computer security specifically for CIT majors. Any CIT major needing to satisfy the CIT requirement for COMP 424 can satisfy the requirement by registering for and completing either COMP 424 or CIT 496SEC/L.CIT majors cannot take both COMP 424 and CIT 496SEC/L toward the requirements of the CIT major.
- CIT 196IT/L IT Foundations is an experimental course on the foundations of information technology. Any CIT major needing to satisfy the CIT requirement for CIT 101/L can satisfy the requirement by registering for and completing either CIT 101/L or CIT 196IT/L. CIT majors cannot take both CIT 101/L and CIT 196IT/L toward the requirements of the CIT major.