Wait Lists and Surveys for Closed Sections
Spring 2015 registration has started. Over the next few weeks, sections of some courses will fill and will be closed. Be assured that the CS Department will carefully track how many students are waiting for seats so that new sections can be opened as appropriate. The Department uses a combination of SOLAR wait lists and a custom survey to track demand, depending on the course registration pattern. For lecture-only courses like COMP 282, SOLAR provides wait lists. For lecture-lab combo courses like COMP 110/110L, SOLAR does not provide wait lists, so the Department provides a link to a custom online survey as a substitute.
- If you are trying to enroll in a lecture-only course and it is full, please follow the instructions on SOLARand join the wait list. Wait lists in SOLAR will be activated starting Dec 10.
- If you are trying to enroll in a lecture-lab combo course and it is full, fill out the custom online survey to let the Department know you need a seat. The link to the online survey can be found here.
Note that wait lists and the survey together provide feedback on the need to open a new section, but decisions are not based on student demand alone. University budget constraints and availability of an instructor to teach the section also influence whether a new section can be opened or not.
Announcements for Specific Courses/Sections
- COMP 490 Senior Design (lecture) is normally offered fall only, but this academic year it is also being offered in Spring 2015. Any student who enrolled in 490L (lab) in Fall 2014 but who was unable to enroll in 490 (lecture) will be guaranteed a seat. Enrollment is by department consent, request a permission number from the CS Department Office.
- CIT 480/L System Design (lecture and lab) is normally offered fall only, but this academic year it is also being offered in Spring 2015. Any CIT major graduating in Fall 2015 or Spring 2016 who was unable to register for it this semester (Fall 2014) will be guaranteed a seat. Enrollment is by department consent, request a permission number from the CS Department Office.
- There may be a limited number of remaining seats for students who were planning to take it in Fall 2015 to take it one semester early in Spring 2015.
- For any student taking CIT 480/L in Spring 2015, the Department will provide a Fall 2015 section of the CIT 481/L follow-on course, which is normally a spring-only class.
- No decision on continuing to offer CIT 480/L in the spring and CIT 481/L in the fall has been made yet. Beyond Fall 2015, CIT 480/L may return to a fall-only schedule and CIT 481/L to a spring-only schedule.
- COMP 496ALG Algorithm Design is an experimental course being offered for the first time in Spring 2015. Any Computer Science major who needs to take MATH 482 can take COMP 496ALG (subject to enrollment caps) and get course substitution credit for MATH 482.
- CS and CIT undergraduate majors cannot use COMP 496ALG to satisfy elective requirements.
- CS majors cannot take both MATH 482 and COMP 496ALG for credit toward the major.
- Graduate students cannot take COMP 496ALG for credit toward the MS in Computer Science or MS in Software Engineering, but can use it to count for MATH 482.