The Traditional Preliminary Single Subject Program at California State University, Northridge is the most flexible of the credential program options. Qualified candidates may enroll in this post-baccalaureate program on a full-time or part-time basis, completing the credential in a minimum of one year or taking three or more semesters to finish the program. Designed for both pre-service candidates and those teaching full-time in a private school setting, the Traditional Single Subject Preliminary Program leads to a credential in a specific subject area for teaching at the middle school and high school levels.
- Developmentally sequenced program of methods, foundational, and field experience courses
- Highly qualified faculty with strong practical knowledge of students and schools
- Outstanding campus facilities, including computer labs
- Emphasis on working with diverse students in urban schools
- Meets California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Standards (SB 2042)
- Culminates with the state-required Teacher Performance Assessment, the edTPA (starting Spring 2017).
To enter the Program, two applications are required:
- CSUN Graduate Programs Application (to the University)
- Single Subject Credential Program Application (to the Credential Office)
Subject Matter Competency
At the time of application, candidates must meet the required subject competency:
- through a Commission on Teacher Credentialing approved program, or
- through passage of the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) in the specific subject area (all subtests for the subject)
See the Credential Office for complete application information:
Credential Preparation Office
Graduate Application for University Admission
Apply online at www.csumentor.edu
Program Courses (36 units)
- SED 511 Fundamentals of Secondary Educ in Multiethnic Secondary Schools (3) Must be taken in first semester of enrollment
- EPC 420 Educational Psychology of Adolescence (3)
- SED 525XX Methods of Teaching Single Subject (3) – 525A, 525EN, 525HE, 525HS, 525MA/MAL, 525MU, 525PE, 525S/SL, 525SS
- SED 554/554S Supervised Field Experience and Seminar (3+1)*
- SED 514 Computers in the Instructional Program (3). Note, you may substitute SED 619 (Educational Website Development) or SED 646 (Computers in Science and Mathematics Education) with instructor approval.
- AAS/AFRS/ARMN/CHS/ELPS 417 Equity and Diversity in Schools (3)
- SED 521 Language, Literacy, and Learning in Multiethnic Secondary Schools (3)
- SED 529 Teaching English Learners in Multiethnic Secondary Schools (3)
- SPED 420 Improving the Learning of Students with Special Needs Through Differentiated Instruction and Coillaboration (3)
- HSCI 466ADO Health Concerns of the Adolescent (1)
- SED 555/555S Supervised Practicum and Seminar (5+2)**
* Pre-requisites for SED 554/554S: CBEST passage, CTC clearance, 100% subject matter competency, writing proficiency clearance, and Credential Office clearance. Pre- or co-requisite classes for SED 554: SED 511, EPC 420, SED 525XX. Candidates complete the Preliminary Teacher Performance Assessment (“FRED”) in SED 554/554S.
** Pre-requisite classes for SED 555/555S: SED 511, EPC 420, SED 525XX, SED 554. Pre- or co-requisite for SED 555/555S: SED 521, SPED 420, AAS/AFRS/ARMN/CHS/ELPS 417. Candidates complete the Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) and Individual Induction Plan in SED 555/555S.
Full-time candidates who meet subject matter and other requirements at application to the program are eligible to complete the program in a single year by enrolling in the first 6-7 classes listed above in the fall semester and the last 6-7 classes listed above in the spring semester. Most candidates complete the program in three or more semesters.
Sample One-Year Program for Qualified Full-Time Candidates
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Sample Two-Year Program for Part-Time Candidates
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Summer 1||Semester 3||Semester 4|
|SED 511||SED 521||SED 514||SED 554||SED 555|
|EPC 420||SED 525XX||SED 529||SED 554S||SED 555S|
|HSCI 466ADO||SPED 420||AAS/AFRS/ARMN/CHS/ELPS 417|