The Single Subject University Intern Program (SSUIP) is designed for on-the-job teachers. The program courses are coordinated and integrated to build skills and knowledge throughout the program in a hands-on manner in real classrooms.
Download our program brochure.
David L. Moguel, Coordinator
Office – Education 1203
Support and Guidance
Support and guidance will be provided for each teacher intern. The instructional team for the collaborative program, including the Intern Coordinator, the Seminar Instructors, and the school-based Support Provider, will offer advisement and support to the teacher interns. In addition, the University Supervisor will visit each teacher intern’s classroom, provide feedback and conduct progress reports and evaluations. More details about the SSUIP can be found in the SSUIP Handbook (.pdf).
Transfer of Credit
Many interns begin as Traditional credential program candidates and complete some credential courses before they are hired as full-time teachers and transfer into the Intern Program. Transfer Interns then have a course sequence with a different starting point.
The Intern Coordinator will help you plan the sequence of courses that is most appropriate for you.
36 - 41 units - University Intern Program for individuals teaching full-time in a public school with an Intern Credential.
- SED 511 Fundamentals of Secondary Education in Multiethnic Schools (3 units)
- SED 525XX Methods of Teaching [subject] in the Secondary School (3 units)
- SED 593 Field Experience for Single Subect Interns (2 units)
- SED 593S Field Experience Seminar for Single Subject Interns (1 unit)
- SED 521 Content Area Literacy and Learning in Multiethnic Secondary Schools (3 units)
- EPC 420 Educational Psychology of the Adolescent (3 units)
- SED 594 Supervised Field Experience for Single Subject Interns (2 units)
- SED 514 Computers in the Instructional Program (3 units)
- SED 529 Teaching English Learners in Multiethnic Classrooms (3 units)
- SPED 420 Improving the Learning of students with Special Needs through Differentiated Instructions & Collaboration (3 units)
- HSCI 466ADO Health Concerns of the Adolescent (1 unit)
- SED 554 Supervised Field Experience
- SED 554S Field Experience Seminar for the Single Subject Credential
- ELPS 417 Equity and Diversity in Schools (also AAS, AFRS, ARMN, CHS)(3 units)
- SED 555 Supervised Practicum (3 units)
- SED 555S Practicum Seminar for the Single Subject Credential (2 units)
Some courses may be offered during Summer and Winter Session.