The Single Subject University Intern Program (SSUIP) is designed for on-the-job teachers. The program courses are coordinated and integrated to build skills and knowledge throughout the program in a hands-on, reality-based classroom setting.
Download our program brochure.
Carolyn R. Burch, Director
Office – Education 1205
Support and Guidance
Support and guidance will be provided for each teacher intern. The instructional team for the collaborative program, including the Intern Director, the Seminar Instructors, and the school-based Support Provider, will offer advisement and support to the teacher interns. In addition, the University Supervisor will visit each teacher intern’s classroom, provide feedback and conduct progress reports and evaluations.
Transfer of Credit
When a candidate transfers from the Traditional Single Subject Credential Program to the Intern Program and has already received credit for SED 554 and SED 554S, those courses will substitute for SED 592 and SED 594S in the Intern Program. This occurs because the Preliminary Teaching Event is completed in both. The candidate would be required to enroll in and pass SED 593 and SED 593S before qualifying for SED 555I and SED 555S.
Similarly, when a candidate transfers from the Intern Program to he Traditional Program and has already received credit for SED 593 and SED 593S and SED 94 and SED 594S, in the Intern Program, the SED 554 and SED 554S are not required in the Traditional Program prior to enrolling in SED 555 and SED 555S. If only SED 593 and SED 593S have been completed in the Intern Program, but not SED 594 and SED 594S, then the candidate will be required to complete the SED 554 and SED 554S in the Traditional Program before qualifying for SED 555 and SED 555S.
- Application for Student Teaching (SED 555i) (.pdf)
- Application for Intern Program (.pdf)
- FAQs (.pdf)
- Financial Aid
36 Units – University Intern Program for individuals teaching full-time in a public school with an Intern Credential, additional application required
- SED 511 Fundamentals of Teaching in Multiethnic Secondary Schools (3 units)
- SED 525 Specialized Methods (3 units)
- SED 593 Supervised Field Experiences (2 units)
- SED 593S Field Experience Seminar (1 unit)
- SED 521 Literacy in Multiethnic/Multilingual Secondary Schools (3 units)
- EPC 420 Educational Psychology of the Adolescent (3 units)
- SED 594 Supervised Field Experiences (2 units)
- SED 594S Field Experience Seminar (1 unit)
- SED 514 Computers in Education (3 units)
- SED 529 Teaching English Learners in Multiethnic Classrooms (3 units)
- SPED 420 Inclusive Education (3 units)
- HSC 466AD Health Concerns of the Adolescent (1 unit)
- ELPS 417 Equity and Diversity in Schools (3 units)
- SED 555I Supervised Practica for Interns (3 units)
- SED 555S Seminar for Supervised Practica (2 units)
Some courses may be offered during Summer and/or Winter Session.