IMPORTANT! Coursework for the Master’s Degree and Preliminary Services (Tier I) Credential is identical; however, the degree and the credential are awarded by two separate and distinct agencies, California State University and the State Credentials Office respectively. Therefore, a candidate who is pursuing both the Master’s Degree and Preliminary Services Credential must apply to each agency separately, and those applications should be submitted concurrently.
To download a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential application, log in to the Credential Office web site at or contact the Credential Office at (818) 677-2586 for assistance.
Orientation and Information Meetings
Walnut Park Middle School (ESC South)
7500 Marbrisa Ave., STEM Conf. Room, Walnut Park, CA 90255
Thursday, March 20, 2014, 4:00 PM
Educational Service Center East
2151 N. Soto St., Los Angeles, CA 90032
Thursday, March 27, 2014, 4:00 PM
Educational Service Center North
6621 Balboa Blvd. Conference Room K, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 4:00 PM
Wednesday, April 24, 2014, 4:00 PM
Saugus Union School District Offices
24930 Avenue Stanford, Valencia, CA 91355
Thursday, March 27, 2014, 4:00-5:00 PM
Thursday, April 17, 2014, 4:00-5:00 PM
Glendale Unified School District Administrative Offices
The Board Room, 223 N Jackson Street, Glendale
Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 4:00-5:00 PM
**Cohorts are also planned for ESC West, Conejo/Simi, and Santa Monica.**
Meeting at local school sites saves on parking fees and long commutes to the university. Public, private, and charter school educators are all welcome!
Tier I Credential
- ELPS 600 Research in Education
- ELPS 650 Contemporary Administrative Leadership
- ELPS 663 Legal Aspects of Educational Administration
- ELPS 664 Business and Financial Aspects of Educational Administration
- ELPS 672 Management of Human Resources
- ELPS 676 School Community Relations
- ELPS 681 Organization and Administration of Elementary, Secondary, and Special Education
- ELPS 682 Supervision of Curriculum and Instruction
- ELPS 675 Decision Making Simulation in Educational Administration
- ELPS 688 Fieldwork (Must be taken with no more than 6 units remaining)
- ELPS 697 Comprehensive Exam
- Five years of professional educational experience with a clear teaching or services credential by the completion of this program.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Possession of a valid California credential.
- Undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, or Graduate Record Examination (GRE)/Miller Analogies Test (MAT), with acceptable score.
- Passing score on California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
- Two letters of recommendation from practicing school administrators.
- All students must take the Comprehensive Examination.
- An average grade of “B” or better must be maintained throughout the program. No grade lower than a "C" will be accepted