Education Specialist Intern Credential Program in
Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) (42 units)
The Intern Program is a post baccalaureate two-year Program (including summers) designed for teachers who are eligible for an intern credential and are hired in a cooperating school district. Interns progress through the program as a cohort, must take a minimum of 6 units each semester that include 3 units SPED 506 intern practicum/seminar for three semesters and receive classroom support and mentorship throughout the program by university and district personnel.
All applicants are required to complete a minimum of 120 hours of Pre-service Preparation. This preparation includes classroom management and planning, reading/language arts, specialty specific pedagogy, human development, and teaching English learners. Applicants without a valid teaching credential satisfy the Pre-service Preparation component through a combination of credential coursework, on-line instructional modules, and documented field experience (see intern intake coordinator).
Pre or Co-requisites for the ECSE credential program
• Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development or 12 units in approved Child Development and Early Childhood curriculum coursework
Note: 6 units must be completed before SPED 506ECC and all 12 units by completion of all coursework and supervised fieldwork.
• SPED 431: Atypical Development of Young Children with Disabilities (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
• SPED 535: Collaboration with Families in Early Childhood Special Education (3)
• SPED 506ECA: SPED Field Experience/Seminar (3)
• SPED 532: ECSE Curriculum and Instruction (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
• SPED 537 Methods for Young Children with Multiple Disabilities: Sensory Impairments (3)
• SPED 506ECB: SPED Field Experience/Seminar (3)
• SPED 520EC: Assessment and Evaluation in ECSE (3)
• SPED 500: Communication and Early Literacy Development of Young Children with Disabilities (3) (may be taken prior to admission
• SPED 536: Methods for Young Children with Disabilities: Motor and Adaptive Skills (3)
Other Requirements Prior to SPED 506ECC(4th semester)
• Writing Proficiency (CBEST writing score of 41 or better or Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam with a score of 10 or better or ENGL 305 or ENGL 406 or COMS 321)
• CPR certification – infant, child, adult (online CPR training is not acceptable)
• Overall GPA of 2.75 since admission with cumulative 3.0 GPA in Professional Education courses. A grade of “C” or better is required in all courses.
• SPED 402: Behavioral Assessment and Positive Behavior Support (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
• SPED 538: Early Intervention Practices (3)
• SPED 506ECC SPED Field Experience (3)
• SPED 404: Teaching Diverse Learners with Social-Communication Disabilities including Autism (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
• SPED 578 Fieldwork in ECSE: Infant/Toddler (3) or SPED 580ECI: Advanced Specialist Fieldwork in ECSE (3) to demonstrate professional competencies with age group (infant-toddler or preschool/preK) that is not served on-the-job.