Welcome to SAPESS!
Sponsored by the Elementary Education Department
at California State University, Northridge
Program dates: TBA
For incoming K-5 grades
What is SAPESS?
At SAPESS, our intention is to focus on your child's development and growth through exciting, hands-on academic and enrichment classes. Using collaborative planning, our teachers cultivate a safe, consistent environment for students to explore knowledge, discover talents and nurture new friendships. SAPESS assures small class sizes in order to foster the social-emotional growth of students as well as to promote the academic success of your child. One way SAPESS sustains a safe campus environment is by assigning a dedicated Teaching Assistant (TA) to each group of students. The TAs not only guide students from class to class and supervise them during breaks, but they become familiar with the strengths and uniqueness of each child.
The 2014 SAPESS Program was a huge success. We maintained our instructional goals of bringing in a rich variety of experiences to make learning challenging, fulfilling and fun. All of the students were treated to a play, "Beauty and the Beast" that was performed by the Teenage Drama Workshop, at the Nordhoff Hall Theater.
All of our classes were planned collaboratively by all of our teachers to motivate and challenge students. Our science classes were filled with lots of hands-on demonstrations, and the students participated in many beautiful art projects. Our mathematics incorporated activities to apply math concepts and critical thinking to create interactive projects like board games. Language Arts provided opportunities for students to read and write about topics that supported a different theme each week.
In 2015, we will continue to build on all of the successes that we experienced last year. All students participated in 4 different periods each day - Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, and Arts & Crafts.
- My daughter enjoyed coming to the summer school program. I really like the format of having the 4 academic subjects offered during the summer school program.
- He loved all his teachers and TA. He said they make it as fun as possible. Every single morning he was excited to go. He said he loved this program more than any school or summer program he's ever been in.
- The TA's were very attentive and thoughtful towards my daughter's wellbeing.
- There is no stress at all for kids.
- I am very pleased that they are exposed to science and the arts, which they don't get much during the regular school year.
- The themes are great, learning about space and the hands-on is excellent. Both my children love their teachers and TAs. They have nothing, but wonderful comments about them.
- My children always came home with wonderful discussions on what they did in their classes. Each week they were excited about the themes.
- The teachers provide a truly meaningful and fun program for the kids – that makes all the difference for learning.
- He enjoyed all of his teachers. Everyday he had positive accounts about all the activities done that day. To experience the program at CSUN encouraged my son to look forward to attending a university in his future.
- Great, my child's brain didn't go into sleep mode over the summer.