Welcome to SAPESS!
Sponsored by the Elementary Education Department
at California State University, Northridge
Program dates: June 20, 2016 - July 22, 2016
For incoming K-5 grades
Program Fee: TBA
What is SAPESS?
At SAPESS, our intention is to focus on your child's development and growth through exciting, hands-on academic and enrichment activities. Using collaborative planning, our teachers cultivate a safe, consistent environment for students to explore knowledge, discover talents and nurture new friendships. SAPESS assures small class sizes in order to foster the social-emotional growth of students as well as to promote the academic success of your child. One way SAPESS sustains a safe campus environment is by assigning an experienced Teaching Assistant (TA) to each group of students. The TAs not only guide students from class to class and supervise them during breaks, but they become familiar with the strengths and uniqueness of each child.
The 2015 SAPESS Program was a huge success. We maintained our instructional goals of bringing in a rich variety of experiences to make learning challenging, fulfilling and fun. All of the students were treated to a play, "The Little Mermaid" that was performed by the Teenage Drama Workshop, at the Nordhoff Hall Theater.
In 2016, we will continue to build on all of the successes that we experienced last year. Students in grades 1-5 will attend 4 different periods each day: Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, and Arts & Crafts. Kindergarten will be a self-contained classroom located in the Associated Students Children’s Center.
All of our classes will be planned collaboratively by our teachers to motivate and challenge students. Our science classes will be filled with lots of hands-on interactive experiences. Students will be able to demonstrate their creativity in a multitude of arts activities and projects. Our mathematics classes will incorporate activities and projects that require students to apply math concepts and critical thinking skills. Language Arts will provide opportunities for students to read and write about topics that support a different theme each week.
- TA couldn’t have been better. So personable with parents and wonderful with the kids. Made my child feel secure in an unfamiliar environment.
- She has found all of the teachers and aids funny, friendly, and responsible.
- Each teacher has made SAPESS a wonderful experience! Their enthusiasm and creativity has been fantastic.
- It’s been such a fantastic experience for my child. So much fun, he barely registered the fact that he was doing academic work! Very, very well done. Also, as a parent, I greatly appreciated how well organized you’ve made your program-very parent friendly.
- This was his first experience of summer school. He loved it so much. At the end of each day he had a lot to explain about what they did in every class. He said, ‘That was a place I actually learned something.'
- My child loves her teachers. They have been extremely caring and nice and made learning fun.
- All of his teachers were amazing! They were funny and very enthusiastic. My son didn’t want to miss a day of summer camp.
- He had fun every day and was so excited to come home and tell me what he learned.
- Like all of her teachers. Each gave her praise and positive feedback.
- I loved the classroom atmosphere where young kids feel welcome and lively.