Welcome to SAPESS!
Sponsored by the Elementary Education Department
at California State University, Northridge
Program dates: June 16, 2014 - July 25, 2014
For incoming K-5 grades
What is SAPESS?
At SAPESS, our intention is to focus on your child’s development and growth through exciting, hands-on academic and enrichment classes. Using collaborative planning, our teachers cultivate a safe, consistent environment for students to explore knowledge, discover talents and nurture new friendships. SAPESS assures small class sizes in order to foster the social-emotional growth of students as well as to promote the academic success of your child. One way SAPESS sustains a safe campus environment is by assigning a dedicated Teaching Assistant (TA) to each group of students. The TAs not only guide students from class to class and supervise them during breaks, but they become familiar with the strengths and uniqueness of each child.
The 2013 SAPESS Program was a huge success. We increased our enrollment from the previous year of 172 to 365 students. We maintained our instructional goals of bringing in a rich variety of experiences to make learning challenging, fulfilling and fun. Some of the highlights included musical performances with all of our students, special guest performances by a professional opera singer and a popular musical group. All of the students were treated to a play, "Aladdin" that was performed by the Teenage Drama Workship, at the Nordhoff Hall Theater. This year we added a kindergarten class and offered afternoon electives. Both were very well liked by all of the students who participated.
All of our classes were planned collaboratively by all of our teachers to motivate and challenge students. Our science class were filled with lots of hands-on demonstrations, and the students participated many beautiful art projects. Our mathematics incorporated activities to apply math concepts and critical thinking to create interactive projects like board games. Language Arts provided opportunities for students to read and write about topics that supported the themes for each week, like writing their own mythologies when they were studying Ancient Civilizations.
In 2014 we hope to continue to expand on all of the successes that we experienced this year. More details about the program will be posted in Feburary, 2014.
- My children were excited, inspired, and felt so very empowered. They would come home doing science experiments and sharing information about healthy eating, sports, math, and their writing. I wish I could see and hear more of that in the fall when they begin.
- Overall, I am VERY happy my child attended SAPESS. I heard so many great things about it from friends and was glad to have the opportunity to enroll him. It was like all the really fun things about school rolled up into 6 weeks. My child has already requested to attend again next year.
- This was the second year with these teachers. It has been great. My son enjoyed every moment of it.
- I enjoyed hearing the remarkable stories and learning experiences every day.
- My child normally complains about going to school, but seemed to have a lot of fun and learned a lot through this program!
- I thought the staff and administration were very kind and concerned about their students. I felt that everyone really cared about what they were doing, and about my children.
- I was impressed when teachers taught the subjects using the theme of the week. They were very creative, educational, and entertaining. It seemed to me that kids were busy at all times and did not have a chance to get bored.
- My children always had positive and enthusiastic things to say about their wonderful teachers... thanks for finding the best of the best to work with our kids!
- I appreciated the excellent rapport the TAs had with the students.
- I felt very safe leaving my child with the TA.
- I just wanted to thank all the teachers overall for their hard work and sharing their enthusiasm for learning.
- You really lit a spark in our child and he is excited for school! Thank you SAPESS!
- I truly enjoyed the different themes. They all seemed to have a connection throughout the summer. I loved how the children were very engaged.
- I feel the planning days and meetings were very helpful in bouncing ideas off one another.
- I enjoyed the diversity of the students whom I worked with. It was great having a range of students to whom I needed to differentiate instruction.
- I enjoyed planning hands-on activities of varied and interesting topics that engaged all students. I liked teaming with other teachers to develop the curriculum.
- I enjoyed teaching the different themes each week to five different classes.
- Working with diverse learning populations was the most exciting part of the program. I learned a lot about myself and my teaching styles this summer! I am excited to implement all that I learned this new school year.
- I truly enjoyed the collaboration during our planning meetings. I also love that the TAs rotated with their classes.