CSUN  Wordmark
Access Keys

This information applies to pages in the CSUN template system. Windows-press ALT + an access key. Macintosh-press CTRL + an access key.

The following access keys are available:

Michael D. Eisner College of Education

College of Education

University Application - MA in Multicultural and Multilingual Education

Most applicants, who are not current CSUN students, need to complete the University Application. This form is available at http://www.csumentor.edu/admissionapp/grad_apply.asp

In your application, use the following information to specify the MA program for Secondary Education - Multicultural & Multilingual Education - MA.

This process will involve having your undergraduate records sent to the university. The department only gets a record of these after your csumentor application is complete. You may need to follow up to make sure that documents have been received. You can call the admissions office at (818) 677-3700.

Current (or very recent) CSUN graduate students do not need to apply to the University - they can submit a "Change of Objective for Graduate Students" form. This form is available at http://www.csun.edu/anr/forms


Applications to the university require a bachelors degree with an undergraduate GPA over 3.0 or a passing GRE score. Unfortunately the university does not take grades from credential classes into account. Students whose GPA is between 2.5 and 3.0 will be admitted conditionally. They must submit a passing GRE score by the end of the first year (50% on at least one of the three tests of the general GRE - content specific GRE tests are not required). Students whose undergraduate GPA was above 3.0 do not need to take the GRE. For information on taking the general GRE exam visit www.gre.org Deadline for the University Application

Applicants can complete the University Application at any time. However, to receive full consideration, it must be submitted online by June 30, 2014. Applicants will receive a notice of their standing with the university (denied, conditionally classified or fully classified). Acceptance to the university does not imply acceptance for the Multicultural & Multilingual Education MA Cohort.

Other Requirements:

Teaching & Credential Requirement

There is a requirement that MA students have at least one (erroneously listed as three years before) year of teaching experience and a CA teaching credential before completing their masters degree. These requirement can be waived for students who are working in different environments (e.g. private school, higher education or district level work). If you will need a waiver, discuss this with the Multicultural & Multilingual Education MA program advisor before applying.

The teaching requirement is satisfied with a letter from your principal in your final semester before graduation. The credential requirement is satisfied by providing the graduate division with a copy of your CA credential.

Writing Exam

All students must pass the CSUN Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) by the end of their first year in the program. If you completed this as part of an undergraduate program at CSUN, then you do not need to retake it. All other students will be admitted conditionally and will have until the end of their first year to pass this test. For more information go to http://www.csun.edu/testing/upper

Completing the MA outside the cohort

The cohort is a new program at CSUN which has been very popular. A few students still complete the MA without being part of the cohort. These students take classes at their own pace depending on what is offered in a given semester. Because the cohort is large, there are very few seats available for non-cohort students. This approach is not recommended but still a possibility.

Other MA programs

CSUN Secondary Education Department offers masters programs in Math Education, English Education, Science Education, Educational Technology, and Curriculum Instruction. There is also a Joint Induction program for LAUSD teachers (clear credential and MA in 2.5 years). For more information see http://www.csun.edu/education/sed/grad_programs/index.html