CSUN  Wordmark
Access Keys

This information applies to pages in the CSUN template system. Windows-press ALT + an access key. Macintosh-press CTRL + an access key.

The following access keys are available:

Michael D. Eisner College of Education

Educational Psychology & Counseling

DLI&E M.A. Frequently Asked Questions

Questions concerning the DLI&E Program are listed below by topic area.


Q: How is DLI&E different from the other EPC Programs?

A: The DLI&E program is for those who want in-depth study of educational psychology for a variety of reasons. Some students are teachers gaining more knowledge of educational psychology, some students have plans to apply to a Ph.D. program in educational psychology or a related field, and some students are in business settings wishing to gain more expertise in educational psychology. The program can be individualized for specific interests. The department hosts information sessions; see the EPC Department website for more information.

Q: How long does it take to complete the program?

A: The amount of time that it takes each student depends on how quickly he or she is able to complete the courses and a culminating activity: thesis, project, or comprehensive exam. Most of our students need two years to complete the program, particularly if they are also working. A few students have completed the program in a year, although these are exceptions.

Q: Can I still work full time and do this program at night?

A: Yes. Our classes are offered from 4-7 pm and 7-10 pm.

Q: Could you let me know on average how many people are accepted into this program, and how many apply?

A: Each year is different. In the past few years, we have had approximately 10-15 applicants; we have accepted almost all but we do have a selective process and we only accept those who are qualified.

Q: How many years does it take to complete this program?

A: It depends on how many units you are able to take per semester. Generally, students take about 1.5 to 2 years because they are also working.

Q: I am currently a therapist/teacher. Would the Educational Psychology coursework be beneficial in this context?

A: The DLI&E MA Program is explained in detail on the Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling website. That information may help you decide if the program is what you are looking for.

Q: What is the job market like for students who enter this program? Do students have a hard time finding jobs afterward?

A: Many students enter this program already employed. Some go on to doctoral programs. Employment has to do with the career goals the individual student has. DLI&E has a heterogeneous group of students. DLI&E does not actually place students in jobs. CSUN has a career center that may be of more help in this regard.

Q: What is the DLI&E Program track record for students after graduation?

A: We have had many students who have graduated from the MA DLI&E Program and gone on to enroll in doctoral programs in such areas as Human Development, Social Foundations, Curriculum and Instruction, special education, and the like. Some schools have been UCSB, Claremont, USC, SUNY-Albany, UCLA, CAL State LA Joint Doctorate. As for whether you could use the MA in DLI&E degree for teaching at a Community College, you would have to check with each college to determine their criteria. There may be some with MA degrees teaching at community colleges, but we could not guarantee any future employment. Some of our students are teachers furthering their knowledge, some are entrepreneurs in their own ed psych related businesses, some work in clinics, and some work in other businesses. With doctorates, people may be interested in university teaching, research, working in school districts, and other doctoral level careers. This depends on the individual. Our individualized master’s program allows for many options in such areas as human development, program evaluation and measurement, instructional design, teaching, and individualized interests. Some DLI&E graduates have enrolled in law school.


Q: Could you identify which pre-requisites are needed for the DLI&E MA program?

A: EPC 314 and EPC 600 or their approved equivalents.

Q: I was admitted for fall as a graduate student in the DLI&E program and would like to know "is EPC 600 a mandatory prerequisite for complete acceptance into the program?"

A: EPC 600 is a required prerequisite for the DLI&E Master's Program. If you haven't already completed it (or an acceptable equivalent course) with a grade of "B-" or better, you should take it this summer either at CSUN or at a local college (see http://www.csun.edu/education/epc/assets/docs/prereqs.pdf). Please contact the EPC Dept Office to see whether or not an equivalent course was accepted and if EPC 600 is going to be offered during summer session at CSUN.

Q: If I have not completed the prerequisites for the program, could I enroll for the summer, instead of the spring? If so, would that hurt my chances of getting into the program?

A: It is better to complete them by Spring Semester. All prerequisites must be completed by the end of the first semester after admittance to the program.

Q: Can I substitute Psych 320 for EPC 600?

A: PSY 320 is on our acceptable course substitution list (see http://www.csun.edu/education/epc/assets/docs/prereqs.pdf) as a prerequisite.


Q: Where can I get application procedure information for the Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling?

A: For general information about application procedures, please visit our website at http://www.csun.edu/education/epc/prospective.html and http://www.csun.edu/education/epc/faq.html.

Q: Should I submit an application and then search for an adviser, or should I find an adviser first?

A: You are assigned an advisor only if you are accepted into the program.

Q: Is the posted date the current DLI&E application deadline?

A: Yes, the deadline date is the same for DLI&E as for the entire department; however, we accept applications year round.

Q: Where can I get information on DLI&E Program application requirements and procedures? What are the GPAs, tests and scores required for admission to the DLI&E Program?

A: For information on application requirements and procedures, see the EPC Department website.

Q: I have a 3.07 undergrad GPA. What do I do regarding the GRE?

A: A 3.07 undergraduate GPA waives the GRE.

Q: What is the interview like? How can I prepare for it?

A: It is a group interview. We have never given instructions for preparation to applicants.

Q: Must I take the GRE for admission?

A: All DLI&E students must take the GRE if their GPA is below 3.00. The GRE must be taken before an admission decision is given. If it is not taken by the time letters of acceptance are mailed, the individual will not be admitted and will be advised to reapply for the following year with all requirements completed. The DLI&E program follows university standards regarding GRE qualification.

Q: How do I register for classes?

A: CSUN has an online and phone registration system. (http://www.csun.edu/anr/soc/registration.html and http://www.csun.edu/eop/arceop/arc_eop/registration.htm#q1 )


Q: Which courses do I take during the first semester of program?

A: If you haven’t completed both of the program pre-requisites, you must take and pass those courses by the end of your first semester. If you have completed the pre-requisite courses, it’s recommended that you take program core courses before enrolling in electives. Core courses include EPC 602, 605, 607, 609, 615, 684, and 695D. If multiple sections are offered, DLI&E students should try to enroll in sections taught by DLI&E faculty. These sections specifically address DLI&E Program topics and requirements. As far as electives, think about what you would like to do after you earn your Master's degree. What are your career goals and interests? Next, look through the graduate courses in related colleges and departments and identify those that would help you achieve your goals. Once you have identified an appropriate course, contact your DLI&E Advisor. Together, you will then determine whether it fulfills the requirements.

Q: What can I take pre-classification for course credit?

A: Up to 12 units may be taken pre-classification. If they occur pre-admission, our university does not differentiate -- as long as they are taken within 7 years of graduation. Those classes are included on the program of studies.

Q: What are the total number of units I can take prior to classification?

A: You cannot have more than 12 units completed prior to classification.

Q: What electives should I take?

A: Your 6 units of electives can be taken from any CSUN department. Please remember that overall you must take a minimum of 21 units at the 500-600 level. Most people choose electives that will help them with their career-life goals or interests. Many students take courses in DLI&E, elementary education, counseling, psychology, health, business, and literature; however, you are free to choose other areas as well. To start the process, identify your interests and goals and then go through the CSUN catalog marking all courses that will help you advance in those areas. Make a list of those courses and then go through the list and identify whether or not a number of courses require a similar prerequisite that you may want to take, the courses tend to be at the 500-600 level, and the courses seem to be offered on a timely basis. You may want to sign up for a number of courses and go to the first meetings to see if they address your needs.

Q: What if a core course is not offered or is cancelled?

A: You can wait for it to be offered another semester, or you may be able to arrange for a course substitution with the approval of your DLI&E advisor. To do this, pick up the Course Substitution Form from the EPC Department or Graduate Studies Office, fill it out, get your DLI&E advisor’s approval and signature, and drop the form off at the EPC Department Office. From there it will be reviewed and, if acceptable, approved by the graduate coordinator.

Q: Can I use EPC 420 as an elective?

A: No. It is too close to EPC 314 which is an alternative for a prerequisite.

Q: Does independent study count as an elective in the DLI&E program?

A: Sometimes; consult with your DLI&E Advisor.

Q: What grades do I need to have to stay in the DLI&E Program?

A: Students pursuing a Graduate Degree must maintain a minimum 3.0 (B) average in the formal program and the cumulative grade point average once admitted to the program. No grade below a "C" can be counted in the formal program. Any grade of "C-" or below in the formal program must be repeated after an approved course repeat form has been filed. If the student does not receive a "C" or better on the second attempt, the student will be disqualified from the program. A maximum of 6 units in the formal program may be repeated at the graduate level. The repeat grade will appear on the transcript. Note: Departments may have higher standards that take precedent over the university policy.

Q: Can I register for a fieldwork class?

A: DLI&E is not a clinical program. Only students in counseling classes may register for those fieldwork classes. Some DLI&E students want practical experience in the field. They can do this by setting up a supervised, service learning experience via an independent study with a DLI&E faculty member.


Q: Can I take courses that count towards the DLI&E Program before I am admitted to it?

A: Only prerequisites may be taken prior to admission to the DLI&E MA Program. Other courses will not be applied to the program. This is department policy and applies to all programs. The only program-related courses you can take prior to entering the DLI&E Program are the prerequisites EPC 314 and EPC 600 or their approved substitutes.

Q: I'd like to apply for the DLI&E Master's Program, I've already been accepted into CSUN (PBU), would I just have to submit a Change of Objective form? Or do I have to get a copy of my university application? How would I do that since it was done through the Internet?

A: Regarding PBU status, you must file a separate departmental application specifically to apply to the DLI&E Program.