Information for Applicants
Potential applicants to our Masters of Science and Masters of Arts programs are invited to apply for Fall 2014 by April 1, 2014. To be considered for admission, completed applications must be received by the application deadline. Students may only apply to one program in the department (with the exception of the joint MFT/School Counseling program).
Please include the application checklist with your application. This checklist is for organizational purposes only and is not exhaustive. It is your responsibility to ensure that all requirements for admission are met and all application materials received.
No applications will be considered unless all of the following have been received:
- Educational Psychology and Counseling Department Electronic Application.
- Personal statement
- Current resume
- Pre-requisite information (see below)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. Find the recommendation form here:
- Print out of University Application confirmation page
- Apply at http://www.csumentor.edu
- Copies of applicable test scores. Please see checklist for more information.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Transcript showing degree has been awarded OR
- If you are currently an undergraduate, most recent transcript (sent by the application deadline) and a final transcript, after your degree has been awarded. You will not be permitted to matriculate unless this second transcript is received.
- Unofficial copies may be submitted to the department. Official copies must be submitted to the university.
Individual programs have specific prerequisites. If you did not complete the required coursework at CSUN, you may request that comparable coursework from CSUN or other institutions be accepted as a substitute. Use our Pre-approved Prerequisite Substitution list found at:
You may petition for alternatives not on the pre-approved list by contacting our Graduate Admissions Advisor, Shannon Sexton, and by submitting the following form for each substitution you are requesting:
If a course is already on the Pre-approved list, you do not need to submit a form.
In addition, an on-campus, by-invitation-only interview is required for admission. Because of the large number of applicants, not all applicants will be invited for interviews. You will be notified sometime after the application deadline of the interview date once all of your application materials have been received. Interview dates cannot be rescheduled.
For further information, please check the following before contacting us:
- EPC Frequently Asked Questions:
- EPC Prospective Students:
- EPC Student Handbook
- CSUN Requirements for admission to a Master's program
- CSU Information for applicants to graduate programs at
- CSUN University Catalog at
- Admissions and Records at
If, after reviewing these links, you have additional questions, please contact our Graduate Advisor, Shannon Sexton at firstname.lastname@example.org and 818/677-5719 for weekly office hours or the department office at 818/677-2599.