STRATEGIC GOAL # 1 Provide exemplary professional education programs that prepare highly qualified educators to meet the challenges of urban education in a changing society.
1. Strengthen curriculum & instruction through faculty collaboration:
- Review conceptual framework & strategic plan
- Strengthen collaboration including university faculty & community members.
2. Strengthen & support partnerships that improve services to schools.
- Develop partnerships in one area high school, middle school, elementary, and charter school.
3. Review and update how technology is used and taught throughout the unit.
STRATEGIC GOAL # 2 The College will regularly and systematically utilize data to identify and make needed changes in courses, programs, clinical experiences, and unit operations.
1. Ensure that assessment of students, faculty & programs informs program development, modification & improvement.
2. Ensure that the relationship between quality of its teachers and the academic performance of pre-k – 12 students is documented.
3. Identify ways to ensure that faculty are knowledgeable about current assessment tools and issues in California and the nation.
4. Identify ways in which programs can infuse knowledge and skills of assessment in coursework and fieldwork.
STRATEGIC GOAL # 3 Address critical need for a larger and more diverse workforce of teachers and related school professionals.
1. Review the outcomes of the implementation of the current plan to recruit qualified women and men of differing ethnicities & cultures into these professions.
2. Develop a plan to support and retain students for all programs.
3. Develop strategies to support graduates in their professional roles, particularly during induction.
4. Secure funds and implement plans for recruitment, support and retention of students.
5. Identify ways to strengthen students’ identity with COE
6. Provide a forum for COE students to express their views about COE and its programs.
STRATEGIC GOAL # 4 Develop and maintain a strong professional community among our faculty, staff, administrative personnel & alumni committing & collaborating to realize the College mission.
1. The College will provide appropriate time, mechanisms, and opportunities for the faculty to a) exchange information and ideas regarding teaching, scholarship, and service; b) interact socially; and c) examine and discuss issues related to their quality of life as faculty.
2. Address the college goals through such strategies as teaching load differentials, stipends, assigned time, teaching assistants, professional development, and funded research projects.
STRATEGIC GOAL # 5 The College will recruit, nurture, and retain a diverse faculty who regularly demonstrate best practice in teaching, are engaged in scholarly activities, and apply their knowledge in service to the College, community, and profession.
1. Continue to recruit faculty from diverse backgrounds with competency in both teaching and scholarship.
2. Institute a mentoring plan for probationary faculty that will assist them in successfully addressing requirements for retention, tenure, and promotion.
3. Institute a professional development planning process for tenured faculty that will help them in their ongoing professional advancement.4. Through the Retention, Tenure, and Promotion process, reward faculty who address the mission, vision, and goals of the College through work that meets a broad definition of scholarship that is congruent with the University personnel policies and the collective bargaining agreement.
STRATEGIC GOAL # 6 The College will foster an administrative environment that ensures shared leadership and is reflective, open, inclusive, and responsive to the evolving mission and vision of the College.
1. Develop a committee structure that engages faculty in policy & administrative decision-making that will sustain collaborative, dynamic, and responsible College growth, and will disseminate information to the faculty about ongoing operation of the College.2. Implement and assess the new committee structure by formally obtaining feedback from the faculty, administration, and staff.