During you initial intake appointment with a DRES counselor, you may be approved for alternative testing as an accommodation. The counselor will verify your disability after reviewing your documentation from a health care professional and ask whether you previously received alternative testing accommodations. The counselor will then discuss the impact your disability has on academic performance and determine whether you’re eligible for testing accommodations.
Some examples of testing accommodations include:
- Extended time for exams, quizzes, midterms and finals (Generally, extended time does not apply to take-home exams.)
- A quiet, reduced-distraction testing space, which may include a private room
- A reader
- A scribe
- An alternate format of the exam, such as Braille, enlarged print or scanned text
- A basic calculator
- Adaptive software or equipment
- Word processing, possibly with spell check
After your intake appointment, please follow the steps below.
1. Log in to the Student Access and Accommodation System (SAAS) to request academic and testing accommodations.
2. Wait for a DRES counselor to approve or deny the request.
- If the request is denied, contact your DRES counselor.
- If the request is approved, SAAS will generate an email instructing your professor to create a course exam profile.
- Your instructor needs your input before completing the course exam profile. Discuss your testing accommodation and the optimal exam dates and times.
3. Once your instructor completes the exam profile, you may log in to SAAS and request an exam date and time.
4. Your instructor will review the requested exam date and time, and approve or deny the request in a timely manner.
- SAAS will send you an email if the instructor denies the exam date and time. If denied, read the comments left by the instructor and speak to him or her about scheduling conflicts.
- You may initiate a new exam request that follows the specified exam parameters set by your instructor.
5. Approved exam dates and times are placed on the alternative testing exam schedule.
6. You must manage your alternative testing exam schedule (requesting additional exams, cancellations, etc.)
If you are taking your exam in the DRES office, please arrive early and you bring your CSUN photo ID.
Department of Rehabilitation
The California Department of Rehabilitation assists individuals with disabilities by providing services and advocacy in relation to finding employment and independent living accommodations. The Department of Rehabilitation has numerous offices across the state to serve individuals with disabilities.
Independent Living Centre
The Independent Living Centre provides education and awareness about assistive technology resources.
Social Security Disability Insurance
Social Security Disability Insurance provides assistance to people with disabilities.