Early Start FAQ's
Notes for students in CSUN’s Early Start Math (ESM):
- To satisfy the CSU’s ESM requirement you must complete an online assessment and 12 hours of independent online work. This work is intended to be done off campus. However, if you do not have access to a personal computer, after registering you may contact your instructor via email to make arrangements to use campus computers.
- Improved placement in Developmental or GE Mathematics is determined by an on-campus proctored test. You qualify for this test by demonstrating proficiency on the online system. Testing appointments are scheduled by instructors and must be made a week in advance. We reserve the right to limit each qualified student to one attempt on the placement test.
- If you take a placement test, you will be informed via email whether your placement in Developmental or GE Mathematics has improved.
- Improved math placement is not a requirement of the CSU’s Early Start Program. You do not need to achieve, or even attempt, improved placement in order to satisfy the CSU’s Early Start requirement and receive credit in your ESM course. It is optional.
- At the end of your CSUN Early Start Math course you will receive either Credit (CR) or No-Credit (NC) in your EMS course. In addition your placement in Developmental or GE Mathematics will be determined by a numerical score (ESM Score) that your instructor will record. Credit in ESM does not necessarily mean improved placement in Developmental or GE Mathematics There are four possibilities:
Credit (CR) or No-Credit (NC) EMS Guidelines
||Failure to complete initial online assessment and 12 hours of independent online work
||Placement based on prior ELM score.
||Completion of initial online assessment and 12 hours of independent online work, but no improved math placement
||Placement based on prior ELM score. No further action necessary.
||Completion of initial online assessment and 12 hours of independent online work, AND placement into Math 093
||Placement based on ELM equivalent score of 34 (eligible for CSUN Math 093). Results sent via email. Revise Fall 2012 schedule.
||Completion of initial online assessment and 12 hours of independent online work, AND placement into GE level math
||GE-Level Mathematics. Results sent via email. Revise Fall 2012 schedule.
Notice: Even if you start in ESM 096L I, you can still place into GE level math by the end of the summer! This will not require any further registration or cost. Get an EARLY start on ESM.
- Early Start fee waivers will be available for those demonstrating need. California residents who applied for financial aid by March 2, 2012 and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $5,000 or less are eligible for a fee waiver for any ESM course.
- The current fee estimate is $182 per unit. An additional campus fee of $2.00 may be required. If you park on campus, you must purchase a parking permit.
- If you are a CSUN destination student and place out of all your developmental requirements this summer, we are saving spots for you in the following GE level classes. You will be able to register for these classes using a permission number provided by your ESM instructor.
Check reserved classes for Developmental Math 2012 (pdf)
Students with questions please contact:
Andrea Nemeth (email@example.com, 818-677-7362)
Marion Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org, 818-677-7337)